**** DONE: 1/48 RF-84F Thunderflash - Jet/Recon/Transport GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'll have a look and see what I have Terry.

I decided I needed to do some detailing of the camera bay at least to give the impression of equipment behind the windows.

Pic 1 The camera windows that I'll have to show something behind....all 9 of them.
Pic 2 Started boxing out the camera bay. The index card patterns are at the bottom of the picture.
Pic 3 The start of camera production. Tubing and cut up ammunition boxes from a 1/72 B-25.
Pics 4 5 Camera ports 4, 8 and 9 are small so all I need to show is the caners lens so I glued some tubing in place
Pics 6-8 The tubing shown through the ports. Everything inside will be black except the rim of the lens which will be light gray or silver.
Pic 9 The 6 cameras for the larger ports. Only lost one to the carpet monster.

P3239507.JPG
P3249508.JPG
P3249511.JPG
P3249513.JPG
P3249514.JPG
P3249515.JPG
P3249516.JPG
P3249517.JPG
P3249520.JPG

Last edited:
Great stuff Glenn. If you paint the inside of the tubes in a mix of gold (or silver) mixed with a drop of green or brown, then glaze the ends with PVA, once the PVA has dried, it'll give the impression of the colours seen when viewing the optic groups of the lenses.

Thanks George, that really helps, it confirms that what I did wasn't that far off. The cameras I made look close enough to the K-17 cameras, and the others I represented as lenses only. Are there any pictures of what that viewfinder looked like from the cockpit, maybe I can scratch something for it.
The cameras arr all installed and I took pictures but somehow mislaid the cord from my camera so can't offload them. I have a card reader somewhere so maybe I can take them off tonight and post them.

Last edited:
Good reference Geo.
Glenn, I think I saw a shot of the cockpit viewfinder, on a restored French aircraft, when I was looking for cockpit pics of the F-84F. I'll see if I can find it again, and I'll post it here if I do.
EDIT: Found it. It wasn't French, but from the Royal Norwegian Air Force Museum site (Guttorm's place!). I presume that's the viewfinder screen centre top.

Attachments

• RF-84F cpit.jpg
    RF-84F cpit.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,030
Last edited:
Good find Terry. Glenn, I accidentally deleted your email address. Pop me a PM and I'll send you some cockpit photos. They're not the best(Terry's I.P. is way better) but it can give you some ideas.

Geo

Looks like Heller knew about the viewfinder, thanks Terry.

Work done last night
Pic 2 Balance test with tooth pick legs to determine how much lead to put in the nose. Not much as it turns out.
Pic 3 The cameras painted and glued together. I used Terry's lens idea and it worked out very well. Did a very light dry-brushing on the cameras with MM stainless steel.
Pic 4 The cameras installed. Not to different than the diagram George provided although I have more cameras - one for each port. Also the lead installed. I was surprised how little it took. I uses at least 4 times as muck on the XP-59.
Pic 5 a somewhat blurry pic of the cameras through the ports.

Just have to make sure I'm not forgetting anything and I'll be closing up the fuselage.

P3209488-.JPG
P3259522.JPG
P3259525.JPG
P3259529.JPG
P3259531.JPG

Last edited:
Terry I have a whole series if excellent F-84F cockpit shots I found somewhere. Also a few good walk around series (although they'er Belgian markings) If you want them I'll email them to you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back