**** DONE: 1/48 RF-84F Thunderflash - Jet/Recon/Transport GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

How did I miss those first shots of the pit Glenn, and now the second show…………….Wow.

Thanks guys.
I finished the scribing and raised panel line removal tonight and I have to say that I feel about panel line scribing the way bill feels about biplane rigging. I don't think I'm ever going to do this again regardless of how it turns out. It just takes the fun out of the whole model building process for me. Not really sure how well it's going to look after paint, it's kind of hard to tell right now with the silver plastic, but I can tell you that I'm not going to be getting job offers from Tamiya to do their panel lines :lol:. Well at least I can start putting it together now.

P3219498.JPG

Last edited:
I was browzing eBay this morning and saw a scribing handle with four diff size blades, about 24 bucks. Looked like it might work pretty nicely. Don;t do enough to justify that kinda money, but.

What do you use as a guide Glenn? I've used the old fashioned Dymo tape, the heavy plastic stuff.

I'm sure it will be okey dokey mate.

What do you use as a guide Glenn? I've used the old fashioned Dymo tape, the heavy plastic stuff.
Don't have any of that Dymo tape, Do they even make that stuff anymore? I've been using heavy masking tape, and the existing panel lines. I got the scribing tool from Micro-Mark years ago (You can see it in the background of the first pic in post #40). It makes n nice clean line, although a little wide maybe, but it's not the easiest thing to control.

I should be gluing the cockpit and jet tube into one of the fuselage sides tonight and then loading the nose up with lead. Been thinking about looking through the spairs box and seeing what I have that I can mount behind the camera ports to give the impression of camera equipment.

Dymo tape does exist. I use that and these, which I find much bether than knives or other pointy tools. The difference is that these are very fine saws and actually remove plastic rather than pushing the plastic around and leaving ridges.

d-474.jpg

Glenn, check out eBay for the Dymo tape, it is still around. I got two rolls, pink to show my femannin side, I'll never run out of the stuff.

The saw is interesting. Hadn't even cinsidered it. Does make sense tho, to remove the material rather than push it around and have to clean the groove after!

Two ticks to try now from just this thread!!!!!

Thanks for the ideas guys, I thunk I'll get the Dymo tape even if I don't do an entire aircraft again. The scribing tool I use also removes the material taking it out in a long curl of plastic. leaves a very slight raised edge but that comes off with a couple of passes of 1000 grit sand paper. the problem os control, and the Dymo tape might solve that.

It looks good to me Glenn, and I agree, silver plastic is a right ache in the anus!
I use an old point from a pair of geometry compass, sharpened slightly, fitted into my pin vice, and also use the edge of my razor saw. I tried those small scribing saws, but my hands are too stiff and lack articulation to be able to control them properly.
BTW, I'm hoping to 'win' a Revell F-84F on 'e bay' - should know tomorrow afternoon.

I've modified the saws by gluing popsicle sticks to each side. Stiffens them up and much easier to grasp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back