**** DONE: 1/48 Savoia Marchetti S.M.79 II - Mediterranean Theater of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A little more progress has been made today but this will be it as I have to go to Windsor in about an hour. A three hour drive there for a 5 minute funeral home visitation. My mother-in-law likes the way I drive so she asked me to drive her. Out for dinner after and then a three hour drive home. Anyhow, enough of my tale of woe.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

Just a small update.

Just have to glue the exhaust stacks into place and the engines will be completed.

IMG_0371.JPG

IMG_0373.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

Thanks guys.

Not that I am ready to start major assemblies or painting in a big way but I am waiting for canopy masks to arrive in the mail. I want to have everything ready for when I get back to this project. Hopefully the package will arrive this week.

My early impressions of the kit as far as construction goes are quite favourable. For you scratch building types this kit would be perfect for if there ever was an aircraft interior that screamed out for scratch built parts, this is it. The cockpit and gunner's position are pretty much empty, not that much will be visible under the hump once it is place but there is lots of glass in the rear part of the fuselage and if you wanted to build this aircraft with the rear door open, you would be looking at a vast empty area.

Anyway, cheers to all.

Jeff

Thanks guys for all the nice comments. The canopy masks arrived this week so my bella has moved back to the front of the workbench and some considerable visual progress has been made.

The cockpit has been installed and the fuselage halves have been glued together. The lower rear fuselage windows are installed and I have decided to button up this aircraft so the fuselage gun windows have been closed as well.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

In addition I have built the starboard wing by mating the top and bottom halves, installing the flaps and ailerons as well as the actuacting arms and other sundry bits on the bottom. The Engine nacelle has also been put together.

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

If I get a chance this afternoon ( lunch break right now ) the port wing will be completed. I must head out with mother superior later, she has her mind set on buying a new freezer and feels she may need my assistance in loading it into the pick-up truck.

I really like the way this model is coming together. A bit of putty will be needed for the fuselage join lines but the starboard wing was spot on. A bit of putty around the engine nacelle but no biggie.

I am starting to put my mind towards paint and how best to handle the camouflage. The key for me will be to take my time as I know I have a habit of getting a bit excited and rushing.

Comments, criticism and helpful hints always gladly accepted.

Cheers all,

Jeff

Coming along great Jeff. I've read some negative reviews on the boxing but yours is moving right along. Going to have to reconsider about buying one now.

Geo

Most of the negative stuff I have read has more to do with the inaccurate lines and scale of some parts parts. To my eye she looks enough like the real thing that I am not going to worry about it..

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back