**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire FR.lX - Jet/Recon/Transport GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Charles and Jerry. Not a whole lot done, more research than building. Almost every picture from my books and on the web, show differences. I'm on my third attempt at building the camera control box. It's going to be nearly invisible once the fuselage halves are joined together, I just want to justify Terry and Darryl's outstanding contributions. Adding two lights and three knobs to a 3½mmx2½mm is trying my patience just a tad.

002.JPG

005.JPG

(Dang close-up photos showing all my blemishes and stuff. Mercifully, my scratch built bottle will be consumed in darkness.)

Geo

Last edited:
Looks good enough to me Geo. As you say, once closed up, it's more the impression that somethings there, rather than seeing the full detail, which is the effect to be aimed for. Should look the biz when all done.

Merci Terry and Dr. Gnomey. Done did some more wiring. Contemplating where to put some more along the side walls and will deem the **** pit done. Added some wiring through the hole I drilled on the left side of the I.P.. I found one pictured that showed what looks like a clock occupying this hole but it was only that one picture.

011.JPG

The next photo shows a hose(oxygen?) but I can't find a clear picture of what it's attached to. The last photo is my proto-type hose.

SpitMk-IXseat_and_panel-5.jpg

009.JPG

Geo

Last edited:
Good stuff. Yes, that's the oxygen supply hose, which runs back, via a pipe, to the black oxygen bottle on the starboard wall, behind the seat. The end which attaches to the hose from the mask is normally held in a clip on the wall when not in use, and coincidentally, is located more or less as your 'hose' is now, if the end of the wire core (pointing down) was trimmed off.

Thanks Terry and Andy. I found this drawing which shows a different layout and color. My photo above is in color, Andy's shows the hose in two parts and I like the easy way the hose is laid out in the drawing. So, combining all three, I'm thinking the part that attaches to the mask is a medium grey and the part that attaches to the bottle may be a rubber color or semi-gloss black.

oxygen.JPG

Geo

Good stuff so far Geo. Ignore the colours in the drawing - they're just representative.
The hose was made of a fabric-covered rubber, coloured a sort of sage green, and connected to the pipe aft of the seat frame. The clips, as Andy pointed out, where for stowage of the hose when not in use - it would be 'hanging' free, attached to a similar, shorter, green rubber hose from the mask. But, once assembled, all that will be visible is the forward section of the hose, so detail hidden by the seat and fuselage frame will not be seen anyway.

Gentlemen, I thank you. Terry, the hose has been repainted...again, thanks for the color call. I pondered making the clips...for about 3 seconds. Andy, if it's one thing you guys have taught me here, it's test fit, test fit, test fit, glue. My third version of the camera control box is only slightly better than version two(I may relocate version two someday) but this will be as good as it gets. It's time to glue the rest of the innards to the fuselage halves.

003.JPG

004.JPG

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back