**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire FR.lX - Jet/Recon/Transport GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Agree with all - it looks the biz Geo. The camera might make things look less 'refined', but the eye will see a nicely detailed camera control and other items - good work.

Thank you kindly all and I wish I could have a better job using all your great references, Darryl, but the piece is sooooooooo tiny. Speaking of tiny, I'm partaking in my first photo-etch adventure(If you discount my Harry Houdini Me109 radiator shutter). The lap belts have 5 and 6 pieces each. Circled are the prongs in which Eduards gives you 2 extra. 2!!!!!!!! Seriously, Mr. Eduard, I'm thinking perhaps 30-40. I started cutting out the larger(?) pieces and then pondered a moment. How would my hand look with 11 little bits of metal super glued to it. I purchased a glue stick, and, using a tooth pick with a very, very small amount of said glue on the tip, I was able to pick up the very small piece of photo-etch and lay it onto another that had a small dab of super glue on it. One question. How does one best remove the extra material from a piece that is clipped from the photo-etch frame? I'm using a needle file on the larger(?) pieces but I can't imagine how it's going to work with the prongs. Circled on the instruction sheet are the prongs. I will try to install them, but, at the end of the day, they probably will be invisible anyhow.

002.JPG

009.JPG

Geo

I have a love hate relationship with photo etch. Love how it looks when finished, absolutely hate working with it. The way I clean up the little parts is to use one of those cross locking tweezers - a pair with a pretty strong spring to them - and clamp the piece in then letting just a little more than the burr sticking out and then use the needle file on it. I don't loose the pieces doing it this way - usually that is....

There are a couple of ways you can do this George, I have a pair of smallish tin snips that I use on the larger pieces that I can hold in my fingers. I snip the part from the frame at the from side so that you still have a small tail to snip off. This you can then cut right next to the part. A good pair of small scissors, like sewing or straight nail scissors will also work.

For the very small hard to see parts I lay the frame on a sheet of glass and take a very sharp knife blade, preferably one that had a curved sharp edge and cut through the joining strip right next to the part. On most of the Eduard latest PE, the join at this point is very small and soft. Hope all this makes sense.

Agreed Karl. After staring at those microscopic prongs/projectiles, the end result of self debate that lasted all of three seconds was that the parts would remain on the tree. Thanks for all tips gentlemen.

Geo

A good way to keep from loosing the pieces when your cutting them (if your using a knife) is to stick a piece of blue painters masking tame on the back of the PE fret. That way they don't go flying when you cut them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back