**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk.XIVe - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
User Name:fubar57
First Name:George
Category:Intermediate
Scale:1/48
Manufacturer:Academy
Model Type:Spitfire Mk.XIVe

This will be out of the box with the exception of removing a few things to convert it into the air racer. This is what I've pieced together from the web.
Spitfire Mk. XIVe TZ138. This aircraft built in 1945 at Aldermanston and shipped to Canada in 1945 and was used for cold weather testing with the Winter Experimental Establishment (WEE) Flight in western Canada from early 1946 to July 1949. It was probably the only Spitfire ever flown with skis,the skis falling off on liftoff.
TZ138 was sold for $1250 to two Edmonton businessmen (one was Ken Brown, who flew on the Dam Busters raid), registered as CF-GMZ and they quickly prepared it for entry in the Cleveland Air Races.It placed third, and the team won a $1050 prize. Early the next morning, the pilot took off with the Spitfire and the winnings and the Spit was sold a couple days later for $1000 in Florida. In 1952, it was supposed to be sold to a buyer in the Dominican Republic, but was confiscated by US Customs. It has passed from collector to collector, rebuilt in 1970 but crashing on its first flight. The Lone Star Flight Museum acquired it and restored it, completing it in 1994. It is now in Vancouver, BC with collector Robert Jens, registered C-GSPT.

011.jpg

1344230.jpg

Photo from airliners.net

Geo

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Terry. It starts...grinding, filing, filling, and sanding. Gluing and painting the innards now.
012.jpg

Next step is to fill and sand the camera openings.
013.jpg

Geo

Canon bulges scraped and filed, innards painted. Bought some Citadel Washes(Mud,Sepia and Black)Left half,mud..right half sepia, might stick with the sepia.

001.JPG

005.JPG

Leave for work tomorrow so will try to get some more pictures on tonight.(Just got a call from future employer about setting up drug/physical testing next. Getting hired means home every night or staying in camp.)

Geo

That five bladed prop looks like fun. I'm having a ball making a four bladed prop for my floatplane. At least yours isn't on the end of a rubber motor !
Good luck with it.

Charles

Not much. Mind has been other places these days off. Should have it closed up and pictures before I head back to work on Wednesday.(Hopefully my last trip)

004.JPG

005.JPG

The fit of the wingtip inserts was better than Tamiya's version of inserts and the wing to fuselage dry-fit looks pretty positive.

Geo

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back