**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire MkVIII - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here's a question for Terry or anyone else who might know. I'm trying to discern the prop detail circled below and have found via internet search a couple of possibilities.

This first pic, albeit of a modern aircraft, depicts the yellow patch that I've seen on many detail period pictures and I replicated this on my Spit IX AE-B build a while back. However, the detail above seems to have a patch much lower toward the base of the blade.

And then I found this, which seems to be a closer possibility although the Rotol logo in the detail period pic above seems to be missing.

I also found this interesting reference from a Rotol manual indicating that the colour of the circular patches indicated the material, yellow being spruce or fir and pink being jablo.

Thoughts anyone?

Well guys, I'm gonna disagree - partly. Yes, the lower bit is probably a sheen form the prop curvature but there's no reason in my mind why there would be a round reflection on the upper bit. I'm leaning toward interpreting it as the pink circle by the placement.

One would think that you should be able to see the same thing on the blade closest to the camera, as you can see the whole of the blade front. Just a thought.

I agree, almost certainly the data circle, as they were sometimes low on the blade, and without the other stencils. Can't be certain it's pink though, as this shade often tends to blend in with the black background in B&W pics. On the other hand, the tone doesn't quite match how I'd expect to see yellow either. Is the fuselage roundel visible in the original picture Andy? There's a possibility the original might have been made on ortho film, and the tone of the yellow fuselage roundel outer ring will give a clue to this. If it looks dark, then that circle is pink, if the yellow looks as it normally would in a B&W print, then the circle is yellow - if that makes sense !?

Thanks very much for the feedback guys. Bruce, with he blade closest to the camera being viewed almost end on, any disc near the base would appear as a thin sliver and may have disappeared with the picture resolution. Terry, the band behind the spinner is yellow and the spinner itself is white. I'm thinking maybe the disc is yellow as the tonality looks similar to the band. I think I'll go with that.

In that case, yes, I'd agree. According to the tonal reproductions, the original negative would have been panchromatic film, so the yellow has been reproduced as expected, if slightly light - but that's either due to the exposure of the original film, the printing of the original Bromide print, or contrast shift in reproduction. With this 'standard' B&W film/paper, a pink disc would have appeared as a slightly lighter tone compared to the black of the blade, whereas here, it's too bold to be pink.

Users who are viewing this thread