**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire MkVIII - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks everyone.

Terry, this wingtip seemed actually worse than the others as I don't remember having to do this much work on my IX. These are different tips which extend into the reduced-length ailerons used on the Mk VIII so they may actually be thinner than the IX molds.

Anyhoo, I didn't get as much done today but some fiddly work was done nonetheless. First off, the throttle quadrant was painted a bit more and a wire to the lamp was added on the left side. Also the beginnings of a black placard can be seen over the throttle, done with a 0.5mm artist pen.

120610 Pit Lt.jpg

The starboard side saw the addition of the light bulb rack and the oxygen regulator tank made of a hunk of sprue with aluminum foil tape straps. The oxygen hose is a piece of solder which I rolled on a file to get the spiral pattern. Although not as convincing as guitar string, this method is much easier to work with, the guitar string being quite hard to bend. Also added was the red lever at the oxygen valve.

120610 Pit Rt.jpg

I also worked on the IP a bit and it's shown below partly done. Those famous finger print marks molded into the instrument cluster plastic were removed to the best of my ability by scratching a round-edged blade over them. Some more details have yet to be picked out and then some more Future dabbed on the bezels.

120610 IP.jpg

Here's the seat which is a resin unit by Ultracast, the second of a package of two that I picked up when I did my Mk IX. The straps are molded into the resin but I'm not happy with the paint job just yet. The upper portions which have been threaded through the armoured frame are made of Tamiya tape and these need to be painted anyway.

120610 Seat.jpg

So that's it for today. A bit more detail work is needed before I get the fuselage haves together and we'll see how it goes during the week. In the meantime, thanks again for your interest.

Good stuff Andy. And you're right about the different wing tios - I tried the fit of the MkIX parts when I built my MkVIII, and they were better than the tips eventually used, like the ones you are using. I had the same joint and 'step' problem.

Always great to pop in on one of your builds Andy. Regarding your missing clear.Several years ago I bought the Mk.Vll and the right fuselage was severely short shot at the wing root. Taking a chance, I sent them an email and a few weeks later I received not only the fuselage but the entire sprue it was mounted on. Customer service bar none.

Geo

Thanks Geo and Hugh.

It hit me the other day that I'm blaming ICM for nothing! I was flipping through an old thread of mine for reference comments (the Spit Mk II in the BoB build) when I suddenly realized that I stole this ICM glazing to fix one I broke on the Tamiya kit. Man, my memory ain't what it used to be!

Anyway, more work completing the pit today. The starboard wall received the tubing for the gear selector as well as a scratch built drop tank release and fuel selector:

120615 Pit Rt.jpg

The next two shots show the floor frame, seat, and rear bulkhead glued to the starboard wall.

120615 Pit 1.jpg

120615 Pit 2.jpg

And then it was time to cement the halves together. A little persuasion was needed.

120615 Clamp.jpg

Spent the rest of the day fiddling with the nose bits and shaping and dry-fitting the wings to the fuselage. Hope to get to all assembled tomorrow. Hey, if I get this one done early I may yet do that OOB Spit Terry!

What's that noise I hear in the sky? Oh, look! It's a formation of pigs flying past!
Nice work on the Spit Andy !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back