**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire MkVIII - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much indeed guys. Your comments are appreciated. Terry, Northcott's Spit V was clipped as well:

ae-a_large.jpg

Moving on to the build, I didn't get much done this weekend but what little I did is shown below. The ICM prop blades leave a lot to be desired, being too thick and wide with a little bit of flash to boot. Here's a comparison of two blades, the one on the right being as they came in the kit and the other after I was done with it. The leading edge was filed to a straighter edge and the trailing edge was also filed to make the overall blade a bit narrower. Then the whole blade was filed and sanded to thin the profile considerably. Finally, the notch details at the base were also created with careful filing and trimming with a blade.

120707 Prop Comparison.jpg

Here are all 4 blades after completing the haircuts. The one with the yellow patch was my master.

120707 Props.jpg

The spinner, fortunately, allows the prop blades to be inserted after the cap and back plate have been mated so I went ahead and glued these parts together to allow the profile to be smoothed at the transition. A line was scribed part way down the spinner to replaced the raised detail that was supplied with the kit.

120707 Spinner.jpg

The spinner will need more work yet. The joint of the back plate to the cap will need to be rescribed and then the fastener holes drilled in between the openings for the blades. Pics of completed spinner soon, I hope. Thanks again everyone.

That's a cracking pic of the MkV Andy, and thanks for the confirmation. Great work on the prop blades and spinner, one of the few areas of the ICM kit(s) which let it down a touch.

Thanks guys. Yes, the Spit V is starting to look like a possibility, though it will need to be quick (for me). Will be on holiday late August.

Coming along nicely, Andy. Sorry but this was another one I was late to pick up on.

Sláinte,

Gerry

Charles, Gerry, thank-you gents.

Last shot of full primer has gone on revealing still a few more final fixes before the camo is applied. First though, here's the spinner with details completed. The scribing is done and the fastener holes, slightly large as I have not replaced the broken drill bit I would have used, have been added. There's a minor scribing scratch that I'll need to dab some primer on and polish before I apply the white.

120709 Spinner.jpg

This frontal and quarter shot show that the cannons have been drilled out and added.

120709 Frontal.jpg

120709 Quarter.jpg

Here's a detail of the windscreen. The base of the windscreen at the front has had strips of Dymo Tape added to simulate the various sheet metal layers used on the real aircraft and they help to hide any seam irregularities. Also seen on this shot is the final outcome of the cowl fasteners I added with the bit of brass tube. Kinda like how those turned out.

120709 Windscreen.jpg

Thanks again for stopping by everyone.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. You know what Terry? I forgot about that overly thick frame on the top of the windscreen now that I look at the picture again. I think I'll need to fix that.

Er.. didn't like to mention that, after all the good work you've done!
I must admit, on mine, I noticed it, then forgot it, and had to adjust it when it was on the model too !

I carefully, and slowly, scored the bottom edge of the frame continuously, gently cutting inwards and upwards, until the remaining raised frame was the correct width, more or less. The scratches left on the top section of each 'quarter pane' were then lightly sanded, using worn-out very fine wet n' dry, used wet. It was then polished with a spot of 'T-Cut', although toothpaste will do it too, then dry polished, then given a brushed coat of Future.
Bit of a b@ll ache, and time consuming (especially as I found a suitable spare windscreen after I had corrected the problem!), but it worked out well in the end.

Cheers Terry. I'd loath to rip out the windscreen after having spent a lot of time making it fit and adding the sheet metal fillets but may retain this as an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back