**** DONE: 1/48 Tornado F3 - Home Country Modern Aircraft / Spitfire Mark GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Vic, and yes, the pitots were on the joint line, on the bottom fuselage half. I'd thought of cutting them off and make new ones anyway, as they were a bit heavy, but decided to leave them until after I'd done the panel lines - the rest you know!!
Now that the model has advanced, I think it should turn out to be rather nice, eventually - but looking at the poor quality of the mouldings, I'm staggered that the once-renowned Airfix can accept and market such a second - rate kit. As an example, look at those flare launchers in the close up pic - they are virtually just crudely cast chunks of plastic. Some of the other components are just as bad, and are reminiscent of some obscure, early 1960s manufacturers product!
Did you manage to use the kit's decals without any problems?
I think that most will be OK, but I have some doubts about the white, dotted line walkway markings.

Thanks Wayne and Karl.
Sleep? What's that stuff then?!
Been in quite a bit of pain (the RA must be in 'flare up'), and couldn't get comfortable or settled in bed. So, easy solution - get up and eliminate those tediously engraved but wrongly placed panel joints, and re-engrave them - another four bl**dy hours !
I thought I was about ready to clean-up and prepare for the first stage of painting, but I spotted a few other things which needed doing first - the odd hole to be drilled, more vents to be hollowed out, that sort of thing - so I've been plugging away for another few hours! I'm now totally knackered, so having an early night, and hope to get the airbrush out tomorrow.

Did you manage to use the kit's decals without any problems?
I think that most will be OK, but I have some doubts about the white, dotted line walkway markings.

Yes I did use most of the provided main decals Terry but made up my own squadron marking as the kit ones and aftermarket ones are abysmal. As for the walkway markings I have found it better to shorten them into manageable lengths before application, they are not so bad over the air intakes but on the wings I always encounter impatience problems with long strips.

Thanks Vic (Yep, I'm awake again!), I'd thought of cutting the walk lines into strips, and good to know they probably won't break up. As for the Squadron markings, I'll be making my own checker boards for the fin top, and either using 'Press Fix' dry transfer Phoenix on the fin,or make a water slide decal from the art work you sent me ages ago. Haven't quite decided whether to do 'XT' with the very late 1990s/early 2000s fin checks, or - wait for it - 'TF', with the final, sloped checks on the fin.
And now, I'm going to try that sleep thing again!

:shock: SON OF A........ You have been at sir!!! If I had found what you have in the box, I would have boxed it back up and sent it directly to the manufacturer with a NOTE! You sir are making a sows ear into a silk purse. And I am not poking fun! You have way more patience and determination than I do. Words do no justice Terry. Your doing a remarkable job with what you had to start with.:notworthy: :thumbleft:

Thanks very much for the kind words chaps, I'm touched (yeah, I know, people always said I was a bit touched!).
Been asleep most of the day, so only got some small bits of tidying done - hope to get the primer/lower surface colour on tomorrow, then start on the seats.
More pics when there's something to show.

Thanks Vic and Geo. Still not got the primer done - got sidetracked with domestic stuff. Might get it done tonight, or better still, after my second trip to Elvington on Wednesday. Hope to get some detail shots of the rear end and undercart of the GR1 or GR4 (same layout). which might entail some minor surgery on the model, so might be better to wait before painting. Meanwhile, I'll start on the seats.

Thanks Charles and Jan - decided to spray the primer tonight. Too busy tomorrow, and at Elvington on Wednesday, so it leaves a couple of days for the paint to fully cure, and then no interruptions when I start on the seats.
Next post will hopefully show some progress.

Got the primer sprayed overall, which will also act as the under side colour of Light Aircraft Grey. I'm happy to report that there are no major flaws in any of the joints or filled areas, apart from one tiny one which can be lightly rubbed down before spraying the upper surfaces. This will be RAF Barley Grey, and I might use the 'Xtracolour' gloss paint I've had for about 20 years or more, although this takes around two days to fully harden, meaning the surface is prone to catching dust.
I'll start on the seats on Thursday, so no more pics until something has been done, but here's what it looks like so far.

Attachments

• Tornado GB 204.jpg
    Tornado GB 204.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Tornado GB 205.jpg
    Tornado GB 205.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 88

Users who are viewing this thread

Back