**** DONE: 1/48th F4U-1D Corsair - Pacific Theatre of Operations II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey, Guys,
Thanks so much for the comments. I appreciate you taking the time. Andy, about all I may is add a few more highlights in silver in a couple of panels. Otherwise, I am happy with what I am seeing in the pics.
Now, about those rocket pylons. I have several shots of -1Ds with no rocket pylons mounted on the wing. So, I am ok with leaving this one as a clean bird.

Hey, Guys,
Thanks so much for the comments. I appreciate you taking the time. Andy, about all I may is add a few more highlights in silver in a couple of panels. Otherwise, I am happy with what I am seeing in the pics.
Now, about those rocket pylons. I have several shots of -1Ds with no rocket pylons mounted on the wing. So, I am ok with leaving this one as a clean bird.

I too would leave the weathering alone as it looks very good.

You have to be careful because some late -1As had the overall blue paint, so that may be where you're seeing the pylon-less aircraft. As far as I know, all USN and USMC -1Ds received the rocket stubs. Even if there were some that didn't for whatever reason, the pylons on the bottom of the aircraft should definitely go on. I've forgotten to drill the holes before actually, and they're pretty easy to place on without the holes.

Thanks, guy. Ok, I do have a question for you all concerning the antenna wire for the F4U-1D. All the pictures I have show a twist of the 2 wires at the tail and a twist at the forward antenna mast. Just how in the hell do you get that twist on that damned aerial wire? I was going to use the extra fine, nylon thread, but now I am not too sure about that idea. I do have a networking cable and I know the individual conductors are close to the thread in thickness. I know I can get a twist that will not unwind with the copper wire, but I am concerned that the needed tension to get the copper to look taut may exceed what the forward mast can take. Any ideas?

As for the rocket pylons, here is a scan from a Squadron/Signal in Action that shows a -1D withOUT the pylons. I have a couple of others as well, and post them if needed.
F4U-1D without pylons 1.jpeg

Last edited:
Hmm, that's really odd. Most British Corsairs (all that saw combat) lacked the rocket pylons, but it's odd to see US Corsairs without them. Regardless, the large pylons under the inboard wings should go on.

The only way I claim it is a -1D is the caption. Otherwise, I cannot clearly make the claim.

Exactly, we don't. And it's extremely odd that a -1D assigned to a VBF (Fighter Bomber) squadron lacks the rocket stubs. However, by July 1945 if would be very out of the ordinary for a -1A to be in Navy service, and it does have the later canopy. The canopy could have been put on an older plane of course. I guess since this is a weird circumstance, do you mind posting the other photos that you have Dale? This may help figure things out.

According to my references the last 266 of F4U-1D series got these racks for HVAR 127mm. Here is pics of Corsair 1D of the VF-84 embarked on USS Bunker Hill (CV-17) with them attached.

F4U-1D VF84.jpg

Bunker20Hill.jpg

Also I found two shots of the F4U-1D F-107. ... via the net.

f4u_delong.jpg

f4u_delong_2.jpg

And if there is any doubt about the HVAR pylons ... here an enlarged shot of the underwing area. Also a shot of the F-97 of the VMF-913 with the same one attached.

photo_DeLong_F4U.jpg

delong.jpg

Guess I will add the rocket pylons. Damn, and I was ALMOST finished!!! ;)

Updated Completed Pics
I went back to fix the aerial. As I was working on the aerial I noticed the pitot tube in the fiddly bits tin! DOH!!! So, added the pitot tube, fixed the aerial and re-shot the done pics. I will update the Finished post as well.

Ok, this one is DONE! I did go back and add the pylons and some additional weathering over the cooler. I stayed with the newer canopy as the couple of references I have do show the newer canopy. Not completely sure on that though. I can go back and mask/paint/install the older 3 piece canopy. Your thoughts?

I plan on getting back on the Jug next. I may come back and add a Hellcat to this group build, but I am not sure yet. I have a real itch to get a Spit on the shelf next, so the additional bird for this GB is up in the air. Having the time between contracts has made for a ton of building time these last 3-4 weeks.

Required Pics:
DoneFront.JPG
DoneLft.JPG
DoneLftFront.JPG
DoneLftRear.JPG
DoneRear.JPG
DoneRgt.JPG
DoneRgtFront.JPG
DoneRgtRear.JPG

Additional Pics:
DoneFrontBelly.JPG

DoneRearBelly.JPG