**** DONE: 1/48th F4U-1D Corsair - Pacific Theatre of Operations II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dneid

Staff Sergeant
Oct 31, 2012
Austin, TX
Username: dneid
Name: Dale
Category: Intermediate
Scale, 1/48
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Type: F4U-1D
Aftermarket: Aries cockpit and engine resin detail, Aries resin main wheel bay. Not sure if I will use all of the resin details yet. I wanted to try resin versus PE and I thought this would be a good time to try.

GB 21 Declaration.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, All,
Well, I spent the weekend and the 1st part of the week working on the resin cockpit. I have to save that I like the resin stuff. Is it as crisp as the PE stuff? No, it is not. But, I do like the detail I am getting in parts other than the IP. I used the kit decal for the IP with Solvaset (several applications). The kit decal was cut into 3 different pieces and applied slowly. I got the decal aligned with the raised parts of the resin IP. All in all, I am happy with the IP and cockpit. I did use a fair amount of dry brushing to get a nicely weathered look out of the work. I do really like the resin seat. I was very patient in painting it and belts/buckles. I used an acrylic wash to weather the seat and get the belts to pop.
Pics:
Cockpit1.JPG
Cockpit2.JPG
Cockpit3.JPG
Cockpit4.JPG
Cockpit5.JPG
Cockpit6.JPG
Cockpit7.JPG

Very nicely done Dale. Just a note, and it may be too late which isn't a big deal, but the back of the cockpit should be green.

ok, would that be the backside of the rear bulkhead? If so, no problem with that. If it is the front side of the bulkhead, I found several sources showing that it is indeed done in black.

ok, would that be the backside of the rear bulkhead? If so, no problem with that. If it is the front side of the bulkhead, I found several sources showing that it is indeed done in black.

Generally WWII era Corsairs were done in green on the front. The birdcage -1 were all over the place and were often black, but usually (from my experience) -1As, -1Ds and -4s were green. Postwar aircraft were black. I would however like to see your resources as there's very possibly something I don't know. Again, wasn't meant as a nitpick as it's very well done.

Hey, Catch, absolutely nothing to worry about. I appreciate any feedback. Let me dbl check and get you a post or link or two on the color. One thing I am finding is the colors on these WWII birds are all over the map. I am starting a new razorback in the WIP section. Man, sorting out the interior colors there is confusing as hell. Early '47s were ZCG, mid series were interior green and late series where DDG.... MOSTLY!!! Then throw in looking at restored birds and the color thing really gets to be mind boggling.

I have one scan in. This if Squadron/Signal's Corsairs in Action. As can be seen, the rear bulkhead appears to be s faded black to black.
Corsairs in Action.jpeg

I have a couple more from the Corsair walk around. I need to scan those in. I will try to get those later tonight or tomorrow and add them to this post.
From Squadron/Signal Corsairs Walk Around (granted, this is a restored bird, but.....)

Corsairs in Action 1.jpeg

Last edited:
Can't disagree with your reasoning going by that evidence. The only thing I'd say about the period photo you have is that it IS post-war and it's possible the aircraft was repainted at some point to post-war standards. And you're right, the colours can be all over the place.

Yeah, I was worried about the post war issue at first. As I dug into this more, I found almost no consistency with the colors for a -1D. To further exacerbate the issue, the 2 other manufacturers seemed to have their own twist on colors. So, I decided to go with what I have for cockpit colors.

I have the fuse closed up and what little seam there was has been sanded down. Had to add a touch of putty on the belly towards the aft end. Just a dollop and that now seems to be good. What I am trying to figure out is whether I want to use the aftermarket wheel wells. I am not sure I can figure out just what and how much needs to be removed from existing lower, center wing section to get them to fit. I am going to fiddle around some more with these over the weekend and make a final decision by Sunday. I'll get a pic or two of the fuse up later tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back