**** DONE: 1/48th F4U-1D Corsair - Pacific Theatre of Operations II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice bit of modelling there Dale and take no notice of these twittering magpies, you go with what you want mate……………………..bird perch indeed!

b0227.gif

Nice bit of modelling there Dale and take no notice of these twittering magpies, you go with what you want mate……………………..bird perch indeed!

b0227.gif

lol... Thanks, Vic. I am ok with my choices so far. Damned interior colors and wells and gear legs..... GRRRRRRR

Ok, put the '47 to the side. Got a start on the engine and the prop. Prop is done, engine should wrap up today. I'll post a pic or two when it is done.

Prop Pic:
Propeller.JPG

Ok, Engine is finished and in the cowl. I used the brass "harness" included in the detail, resin kit. I did have it painted black, but all the handling and using tweezers and a dubbing needle removed a great deal of the paint. I may go back and try to touch up what can be seen, but I am not sure about that yet. I did find a wright engine placard and used that as well. I like that little touch. Pics below:

Engine - No Cowl.JPG
Engine in cowl.JPG

Last edited:
Well, I found these buried in a box, I have no idea how old they are or where the hell I got 'em. But, I do like these. I always have liked Superscale decals. I am considering the middle bird (Maj. Hollowell's bird). But, I need to figure out just what shades of blue to get. Anyone have any idea about that in Model Master enamels?

Corsair Decals.jpeg

Great work on the power plant. Model Master usually produce premixed camo colours so I would expect that the standard US 3 tri-colour scheme represented on your decal sheet would be represented.

Yep, Model Master makes (or made, they just changed their paint lineup recently) all three colours. Mind that you don't put any weapons pylons on and use the framed canopy if you do that one, as it's a -1A. You have the -1D kit, which is identical to the -1A kit just with different plans. My -1D that I'm building right now is being built from the -1A kit. :lol:

Hey, Guys,
I am running into a bit of a fit issue with the Corsair's main wells. There are two parts that create somewhat of a bulkhead in both wells (parts B24 and B10). I am getting a bit more of a gap than I care for where these parts attempt to meet the molded in bulkhead in both wells (see pic). The topside of these parts are nicely snug against the top of the well, yet the bottom side of these parts show more of a gap than I care for. I have sanded the molding seam down on these parts, yet I am still getting this darned gap. Anything I am missing? I am not real thrilled with the idea of sanding down the top of these pieces due the curve in there.

Pic:
Main Gear Wells Fit Issue.JPG

I agree. It could even be something as simple, and as small, as a coat of paint, stopping the part locating properly. I had a similar experience with my P-47 'razorback' windscreen, which just would not 'sit down' fully. Turned out to be a tiny, tiny, almost invisible, slice of clear plastic 'flash' that I'd not spotted, which hadn't fully separated when removing the excess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back