**** DONE: 1/48th F4U-1D Corsair - Pacific Theatre of Operations II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok, the entire bird is covered with Sea Blue. I could only find flat, so a gloss coat was needed. Got that on as well. BTW, I am no longer using new Future or any acrylic for my gloss and final finish (flat, gloss, or matte). I am using MM clear "lacquers" and I am having zero problems with it. The trouble I had with the 109E4 I was trying to finish with the Future and final flat coat (MM acrylic flat) has left a sour taste in my mouth for Future. I will let it all settle in overnight and then start the decaling tomorrow. Boy, this one is going faster than I expected. I may throw another one in this GB. I have the Eduard Hellcat on the stack and just may bring that one down. Or, I may go back to the Jug in Start to Finish builds....... need to ponder that one.

Flat coat on:
ExteriorFirstCoatBottom.JPG
ExteriorFirstCoatTop.JPG

Gloss coat on:
ExteriorGlossCoatBottom.JPG
ExteriorGlossCoatTop.JPG

Last edited:
Nice job Dale, struggled to fit the outer wings on my kit, wish I'd thought of how you did it !

Hey, Rochie, I really struggled with the kit's method to get a decent fit. I just could not get things lined up as far top versus bottom of the wing. That was really frustrating. I must call out Don (Phantom II forum ID) again for the idea he ran up the flag pole. I am not sure I would have arrived at that solution on my own. Don is still struggling to get his password reset and he is about to just give up. Sure wish he could get that sorted out so he can contribute to the forum.

Dale, been gone the weekend, really nice progress. Been quite a while since I've done a Corsair. Seems mine must have fit right off the bat 'cause I don't remember doing anything special

Hey, guys,
Once again, thank you for stopping by. Ok, this week so far has been decals. One thing I have discovered with this darker finish is the value of MicroSet to get the decals to set down prior to the final setting solution. This stuff works very nicely. In the past I was just using setting solution (MicroSol or Solvaset). I have most of the decals on. A few stencils to go and the one last undercarriage door and she should be ready for flat coat, weathering, then final coat (not sure if I will do matte or gloss). I need to verify the rank of the pilot versus the number of kills on this set on the bird now (11-1/2 kills). I have decals for two ranks for the same pilot. I need to finish the flaps for the other wing and get the No Step stencils on them and attached then I am down the fiddly bits. Otherwise, things are coming along nicely.
Andy, thank you once again for the reference on the 1st PTO build. BEAUTIFUL build and I picked up a ton of ideas.

Pics:
DecalRgtSide.JPG

DecalsLftSide.JPG

DecalsBottom.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back