**** DONE: 1/72 Bf 109E - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

imalko

Chief Master Sergeant
Mar 2, 2009
Vojvodina, Serbia
Username: imalko
First name: Igor
Category: Category 2/Intermediate
Scale: 1/72
Manufacturer:ICM
Model Type: Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4
Details: "White 3+3", Slovak Air Arms
Decals: Blue Rider Slovak Air Force 1939-1944 1/72 scale decal sheet

Attachments

• GB 20_01.JPG
    GB 20_01.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 314
  • GB 20_02.JPG
    GB 20_02.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 261
  • GB 20_03.JPG
    GB 20_03.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 306
Last edited by a moderator:
Messerschmitt Bf 109E in Slovakian Service

Aware of the overall obsolescence of it's aircraft, inherited from the former Czechoslovak Air Force, new Slovak Air Arms showed interest in obtaining the Bf 109E as early as September 1939. Due to the German reluctance to supply Bf 109 to Slovakia, it was spring of 1942 when Slovakian pilots had their first opportunity to sit in the cockpit of Messerschmitt's fighter. Because Slovak pilot's lacked the experience in flying modern low wing fighter monoplanes with retractable landing gear, first step was arranging a training course for selected group of 106 members of flight and ground personel at German training centers. To this aim 5.(Slow)/JGr. Drotheim was formed at Grove in Dennmark. The training lasted for four months (1st March - 1st July 1942). Afterwards the first 12 Emils of various subvariants (E-2, E-3, E-4 and E-7) were delivered to Slovakia.

Six Slovakian Bf 109E's found their way to the Eastern front with Letka 13 in October 1942. The unit's first base of operation was Maykop where it was deployed as a Staffel within II/JG 52. The use of old Bf 109E at that time was connected with many maintenance problems and hardly ever were all available aircraft operational. One report from November 1942 states that unit had five Bf 109E's on strength, but only three operational. One aircraft was lost in crash landing due to the engine failure during the first month of front line service. Slovakian pilots did achieve some success while flying Emils in the East however. For example on 28th November, two Slovakian Bf 109E's engaged a group of 9 Soviet I-153's shooting down three of them. In mid January 1943 Letka 13 converted to more modern Messerschmitts Bf 109F and later to the Bf 109G.

In the meantime, small scale deliveries of Messerschmitts Bf 109E from Germany continued in 1943. These aircraft, together with front line survivors, were then used for home defense and fighter pilot training with Cvična letka (Training Squadron). In early summer 1944 obsolescent Emils were replaced in home defense role with brand new Bf 109G-6s. When in late August 1944 a National Uprising began, all but two surviving Slovakian Emils were confiscated by the Germans. This two aircraft saw only limited service with the insurgents due to the lack of fuel and ammunition. Both were lost by the time the Uprising was crushed.

According to most authors Slovak Air Arms used some 30 Messerschmitts Bf 109E. So far, definite Werke Numbers are established for 19 aircraft. It is interesting to note that all Slovakian Emils were weary "second hand" machines, which saw extensive service with the Luftwaffe before delivery to Slovakia. Some of them were many times repaired after suffering crash landings or combat damage, but Germans tried to cover this up by falsifying technical documentation for some aircraft. Most aircraft were painted in RLM 74/75/76 scheme, though some have reportedly been in RLM 02/71/65. Many were displaying traces of extensive over painting on the fuselage. German crosses were over painted with Slovakian national markings of the period.

The aircraft which is subject of this build (profile bellow) was finished in 74/75/76 scheme with yellow fuselage band and white number "3". The number was originally painted aft of the cross and in smaller size, which together with yellow background made it poorly visible in flight. Thus the larger number was painted in front of the cross and for short period of time aircraft was flown with two numbers. Unfortunately decal set doesn't come with numbers, only with Slovakian crosses, but I've dig up some from my spares which are close enough in size and shape and will use those. Also artist made a mistake with this color profile as the Slovakian crosses should be in all positions including wing undersides.

Attachments

• GB 20_04.JPG
    GB 20_04.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 553
Cheers mates! Thanks for your comments! Paul, if you are interested in Slovakian Air Arms in WW2 there are few threads I've started on the subject on the forum... somewhere.

In the meantime, off we go. Little work on the cockpit done, so here's the first progress shot...

Attachments

• GB 20_06.JPG
    GB 20_06.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 216
Cheers mates! Thanks for your comments! Paul, if you are interested in Slovakian Air Arms in WW2 there are few threads I've started on the subject on the forum... somewhere.

In the meantime, off we go. Little work on the cockpit done, so here's the first progress shot...

Always interested in history. That's why I hang out here instead of watching the "History" channel. I learn more.
You are doing some nice work, and I am looking forward to more!

Thanks, it's appreciated.
Here's another update of the build - Messerschmitt is put together and more less ready for painting now. Fit on this kit is very good, not much filling or sanding is required. As you might have noticed the air intake isn't standard. This is because Slovak Emils (well most of them) had air intakes typical for the Bf 109T series. It isn't hard to achieve this, you just have to cut off forward half of the tropical filter and that's all. Anyway, here are the pictures...

Attachments

• GB 20_07.JPG
    GB 20_07.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 212
  • GB 20_08.JPG
    GB 20_08.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 203

Users who are viewing this thread

Back