**** DONE: 1/72 BF-109G-2 Finnish AF - Me/ Fw Group Build. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nxthanos

Senior Airman
Jun 11, 2011
1/72 Airfix 1/72 BF-109G - Me/ Fw Group Build.
Username: Nxthanos
First name: Chris
Category: Beginner
Scale: 1/72
Manufacturer: Airfix
Model Type: Single seat day fighter and fighter bomber
Extras: Techmod Decals 1/72 MESSERSCHMITT Bf-109G

OK guys, my second project for this build begins!

First as always, some background. The kit is actually wrong for the decals (its a G-6 and the decals are for a G-2) but I can live with that, considering this new tool airfix has a far more serious flaw, the gun bulges are molded to meet at the top, totally ahistorical.

But these are minor issues, so onward and upward!

Last edited by a moderator:
let's start off with some sprue shots and see what we have.
begin.jpg

The new hornby packaging is quite nice, a sturdy boy, color inserts and a nice little kit even with its flaws.

begin2.jpg

begin1.jpg

begin3.jpg

The sprue closeups show nice crisp detail and no flash.

The techmod decals are also quite nice:
begin4.jpg

I'll be making the bottom one with the playing card under the cockpit (which teh sheet says was removed when the squadron CO saw it!
begin5.jpg

More next time.

Today's update;

The prop is asembled (3 parts) and the fuselauge is joined, the only cockpit detail is a seat, lucky you can barely see through the canopy!
Day1.jpg

Next its time to work on the wings, Airfix has two large square holes for guns or rockets, since they aern't being used the holes are filled with squadron gereen stuff.
Day11.jpg

Day12.jpg

Next the wings are joined, they are very well designed and can have no gaps.
Day13.jpg

After they have dried a bit, the wings are joined to the fuselauge and the tailplanes added.
Day14.jpg

Day15.jpg

The join is seemless, no putty is needed, so even with some flaws this is a well engineered kit.

The assembly is now set aside to dry and tomorrow we cab start painting!

Slammed this one together nice and quick! I don't totally agree with the seemless join though. The join between the lower wing and lower front cowling appears to have a rather visible gap present. Should be easy enough to fix, but I figured I'd let you know anyway.

Last edited:
It may still need putty, just don't know yet!

It may still need putty, just don't know yet!

I was thinking the same thing. I figured the intake wouldn't will not cover up the gap all the way, but oh well..time will tell. And if need be, it should be a very easy fix using the filler/nail-polish remover way.

Naw, that is a bit much for me.

The decals would have been far better for the Hasegawa kit as the bulges were not attached.

fair enough, get a few more under your belt before tackling changes and mods.....probably wouldn't be a hard fix anyway but i respect your wishes, enjoy!

fair enough, get a few more under your belt before tackling changes and mods.....probably wouldn't be a hard fix anyway but i respect your wishes, enjoy!

I have been doing this since about 1968, so i have done it before!

Looking at it, and knowing the correct machine is a G-2 without the bulges, and how crappy the molded bulges look, I'm removing them after all.

Today's update;

The bulges look bad so they are carefully scrapped off and sanded down.
day21.jpg

day2.jpg

A little putty for the seem.
day22.jpg

The putty is sanded and the wheel wells painted dk gray.
day24.jpg

The cockpit is painted dk gray, the seat is left unpainted to attach the pilot.
day26.jpg

day25.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back