**** DONE: 1/72 BF-109G-2 Finnish AF - Me/ Fw Group Build.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Once i get started on a small plane it tends to go fast Vic.

Next its time to piant the white undercoat for the yellow, as is my habit i do whites and yellos first as it avoids any complications with bleeds in other colors, then i mask them and do the cammo.

whiteyellow1.jpg

whiteyellow.jpg

the nose, fuselage band and wing panels are given a few coats of modelmaster arcrylic as a base, which dries very smooth and doesn't bulk up, next tamiya yellow acrylic is painted on, this is almost water thin and dries quite fast, so doing a few coates is easy and its very thin when dry.

whiteyellow2.jpg

whiteyellow3.jpg

The white paper is to protect the spinner from any yellow as it will be partially white, and you can see how thin the yellow is on the untreated area of the wing which was 'stained' beciause i wanted to make sure the putty area is level.

Thanks guys, once i start something i like to work on it everyday till its done, usually while having the TV on in the background as a distraction so as to not be impatient with paint and glue drying!

No disrespect intended Chris...good to see you took the plunge..:thumbright:
I know wayne, no worries.

Sometimes i get lazy with building.

As soon as I had the decals in my hand and saw they were for a G-2 i knew it wasn't right. Airfix did me a favor, by doing such a bad job with the gun bulges (joined at the top, really? In this day and age with new tooling?) and the fact the plastic hornby is using is quite soft and easy to mold and scrape. I would NEVER have been able to scrape stuff off a Hasegawa kit, they use the hard brittle plastic.

Today's update;

The yellow is masked on the wings and fuselage so i can start painting the base colors.
day3.jpg

First modelmaster light blue is painted on the botton and fuselage sides.
day31.jpg

Nest Vallejo dk green is painted on the upper areas, this does not need a sharp line as the cammo pattern is extensive, so no line masking is needed.
day32.jpg

When teh tape is pealed off the bottom we get a good sharp line for teh yellow ID wing tips.
day33.jpg

Before I post some updates, some basic info.

The man who's plane i'm making was the leading finnish ace of all time, scoring 94 kills.
kills.jpg

I was interested in looking at some photos to see about the underside wheel wells, so i looked at my reference for this:
ref1.jpg

although black and white, the photos show the wheel wells as very dark when contrasted with the blue wing, so i feel safe leaving them dark gray.
ref.jpg

Today's update;
Its time to do the camo splotches, and i have decided to use gauze so i made a 'splotch applicator' by taping some gauze to the end of a paint brush.
swab.jpg

First the wings are given a lighter green camo followed by added dark color behind the cockpit as is shown on the techmod sheet, and then we use the aplicator, first with the lighter green and then the darker green applied over it.
day4.jpg

day41.jpg

That looks pretty good, so its time to peel the tape and reveal if the yellow is ok.
day43.jpg

day42.jpg

Looking good, so we are now getting near the time to do decals and such!

Did a little work tonight, the nose is painted as is the exahusts.
nose.jpg

nose1.jpg

Little Eino is painted, sorry for the blur.
pilot.jpg

The kit has now been sprayed with gloss cote for decaling and is drying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back