**** DONE: 1/72 Spitfire Mk Vc – Pacific Theatre of Operations II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

imalko

Chief Master Sergeant
Mar 2, 2009
Vojvodina, Serbia
Username: imalko
First name: Igor
Category: Category 2/Intermediate
Scale: 1:72
Manufacturer: Airfix
Model Type: Supermarine Spitfire Mk Vc
Details: No 79 Squadron, RAAF, Merauke, New Guinea, October 1944

Attachments

• 21_01.JPG
    21_01.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 380
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the kit… On the box it says Spitfire Mk Vc , but what you get is an old mould of Airfix' Mk Vb with raised panel lines, basic cockpit layout (just floor, seat and pilot figure), main landing gear legs moulded as one piece with wheel covers, etc. What makes this kit a Mk Vc is an additional sprue with Mk Vc wing. It's clearly a new tool with rather deep panel lines and even the plastic itself is different then on the first sprue.

Attachments

• 21_02.JPG
    21_02.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 340
  • 21_03.JPG
    21_03.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 313
  • 21_04.JPG
    21_04.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 336
I also managed to find two pictures of aircraft which is the subject of this build, so there's something to start with. Looks like this aircraft was fitted with underside slipper fuel tank. Luckily I have a spare one from Italeri kit so gonna use that one. I've seen models of this aircraft finished in two tone green/brown upper surfaces, but looking at the pictures I'm inclined to do it as shown on the box art, with all green upper surfaces. Also judging by the pictures it appears that all white tail was done slightly different then box art and painting guide would indicate. Opinions?

Attachments

• 21_05.jpg
    21_05.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 639
  • 21_06.jpg
    21_06.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:
Nice one Igor. I don't know enough about Aussie Spits to comment on the colour scheme, but although at first glance I'd agree it looks overall green, there are suggestions of a disruptive pattern visible in at least three of the photos posted.
In post #3, on the wing of the 'camera ship', and just behind the cockpit entrance on the pic at the right.
In post #5, second from last shot, what appears to be a wavy line down from the roundel, through the 'P', with very slight tonal difference, and in the last shot, part of which might be from fuel spillage, but also beneath the cockpit, and aft of the 'T'. It may be that the colours were darker than 'British' Dark Green and Dark Earth, and don't show the contrast very well, or the apparent 'wavy lines' might be 'show through' after painting in overall green, presumably Foliage Green?

I went through a few references for the RAAF Spitfires Mk.Vc and found a couple of shots of the 79th Squadron Spitfires. Believing captions and my eyes I can say that the camo was the Foliage Green/Earth Brown/Sky Blue. The difficulty in tracing the camouflage pattern is due to the two upper surface colours having a very low contrast.

I agree there my friend. Now that you've identified the colours, I would suggest that the photos do show a disruptive pattern on the upper surfaces, the green and the brown being close in tonal values, and darker than 'RAF' colours. The lighter 'stripe' beneath the area of the fuel filler I think would be the effect of fuel on the brown paint, bleaching it slightly, the tone suggesting the creation of a lighter shade of brown as a result.

Here are code letters of a quite better shape. Also the colour FS35550 seems to be the proper one.

up-t_v2.gif

And here a profile of the plane...

81_15.jpg

I see. Thanks for your input mates. Then I guess your observations are consistent with this drawing I found. It also shows two panels in natural metal (replaced after some combat damage perhaps), one beneath the cockpit and other on the upper wing across the roundel. There are clues of this in Wojtek's pictures...?

Attachments

• 81_15.jpg
    81_15.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 421
Good profile and artwork there Wojtek. Note though, that it shows the white tail extending under the fuselage, whereas the photos show the white ending at the demarcation of upper and lower colours, and applied fairly crudely.
The presumably bare metal, or light grey primer panel on the starboard wing appears to be a replacement gun access panel, and that on the starboard fuselage a complete cockpit side panel.

And off we go. So far I assembled the main wing and done some work on the fuselage sides. Raised details were sanded off and new ones re scribed. The age of the mould is obvious as there were multiple sink marks which needed to be filled. Anyway, here's one photo to show how she looks at the moment..

Attachments

• 21_07.JPG
    21_07.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 320

Users who are viewing this thread

Back