**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vc - Pacific Theatre of Operations II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice work Vic. Did they have the non-slip walkway? Never seen that on a wartime Spit before, but have on restorations, to comply with H&S, or personal safety preference.

Once again your right Terry, I did look around before doing it but only fleetingly and as they were on the instruction sheet, I went for it. Checking other pics this morning and I see no walkways. I'll paint up a test patch on some plastic and see how easy I can **** it before I make any attempt on the model.

Doing great Vic. Say, which colors did you use for this paint scheme? Is it standard RAF dark green(Humbrol 116)/dark earth (Humbrol 29), or some original Australian colors?

Igor my friend, the colours are earth brown, foliage green upper surfaces with sky blue under surfaces. Being specific only to Australia there is only one company that I know of who makes close matching paint and that is 'White Ensign', a UK based firm. Sadly though I do not have any of these colours, so I had to improvise with close matches. So earth brown was MM 2054 (though 2055 is I believe closer, again I did not have), foliage green was RLM 70 and sky blue was MM2033.

Thanks for your answer mate. Reason I'm asking is that I'm considering to enter this GB with RAAF Spitfire myself, but not too inclined to buy new set of colors just for this one project (budget cutbacks you know). So, my dilemma is whether I can use something I already have in my stash. For example can Humbrol 116 Dark Green pass as Aussie foliage green? (The paint scheme I'm considering would be all green upper surfaces and blue undersides with all white tail and wing leading edges.)

Igor, I've just had a look at some of my Humbrol paints and yes, H116 with a drop or two of black could be close. Alternatives are also H195 + drop or two of black and H75 which is very close. and for the sky, H65 would be close.

Thanks for the check–in Gent's and for the kind words.

I've been sort of distracted away from the build for a couple of day, other things going on. But have now done all the decals and started with the weathering, panel lines and the like.

Also had a go at doing a bit of an oil wash for the first time. Wasn't sure if it should be before or after decaling so I did both, the underside wash before decals and the topside after. I've mixed feelings about the outcome and in some respects feel the panel lines needed to be just a tad deeper for it to have worked better. Consequently, out came the pencil for a bit of a touch-up. Also did some dirtying but as you can see in the first couple of shots, were a bit shiny in places and kind of rough looking.

20140312 - 1a.jpg

20140312 - 1b.jpg

I wanted to give the machine a sort of dusty look and to do that need to tone the colours down some. So a quick overall spray of a very weak desert sand. Now things are looking up.

20140312 - 1c.jpg

20140312 - 1d.jpg

More weathering tomorrow.

Looks great Vic and my thoughts on weathering the panel lines is that I don't feel it should be too uniform. Also, maybe heavier around the propellor slip stream and lighter and patchier out towards the wing tips. That's just me though.

Geo

Nice. Can you elaborate on the "very weak desert sand" mix ratio? Airbrushed?

Andy. The very weak desert sand was airbrushed with a solution on MM2710 Sand Beige and thinners. I used MM thinners at a ratio of 8 parts thinners to 1 part paint. Makes a very weak colour which was sprayed on at about 8 to 10 psi with plenty of needle movement and at about 10 to 15cm from the model, making very quick passes until the desired effect was achieved. Added to that and before applying the final dull coat, I gave the model a dusting with a beige face powder. For the dull coat I used Vallejo clear matte finish.

Word of warning though, the first button pressure on my airbrush tended to give an accumulated splatter splash which was blown out on newspaper before moving over to the model.

Also for measurements I use a drop feeder like so.

20140313 - 1c.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks again for looking in Gents and special thanks for your comments.

Weathering went well today, probably not to everyone's liking but this machine was rally beaten up. Having seen service in the middle east, the squadron was recalled to Australia in the defence of Darwin and though probably given a lick of paint, the heat, humidity, rain and mud of the top end as well as New Guinea would not have been very kind. Also with so few defenders in the air at the time, getting a wash, apart from natures downpour would have been out of the question. So here you have it, one almost finished, very dirty Spitfire.

20140313 - 1a.jpg

20140313 - 1b.jpg

If all goes well, she will be finished tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back