**** DONE: 1/72 Westland SeaKing - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Some progress shots, showing the filling and cutting i have had to do to the fuselage halves. Still have lots of sanding to do.

Also have made a start on the basic cockpit. its a bit of a joke compared to Vics fantastic effort, but i know if i start doing or attempting to make something more out of this intrior, it will just be wasted, and may well cause a mishap in an area that really does matter

Attachments

• 000_0290[1].jpg
    000_0290[1].jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 000_0291[1].jpg
    000_0291[1].jpg
    42 KB · Views: 69
  • 000_0294[1].jpg
    000_0294[1].jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 000_0295[1].jpg
    000_0295[1].jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 66
That's looking good Michael. Don't know if 1/48th scale interests you, but Revell have re-released the Wessex helicopter, as the HAS 3, which was very similar to the Mk31 and Mk31B in RAN service. Not a bad kit, although the interior is incorrect for a ASW chopper.

That's looking good Michael. Don't know if 1/48th scale interests you, but Revell have re-released the Wessex helicopter, as the HAS 3, which was very similar to the Mk31 and Mk31B in RAN service. Not a bad kit, although the interior is incorrect for a ASW chopper.

Hi terry (and everyone)
Ive pretty much finsihed the plating over of the the surplus windows and have put the interior onto one side of the the fuselage halves. ive fitted the main hatch, and am pretty chuffed that i could slide the hatch open or shut. with that advantage i have to now make a final decision on the interior....do i attempt it or at least those parts that could be visible, or do i leave well enough alone...

biggest problem i have is no really good pics of the ASW configuration, which would be what i would want to do. i have a few photos, but nothing great. Was wondering if anyone had a layout or internal photos of the cabin layout that might help.

I have a spare unused crewman or two from my wessex build, and some sonar compponents from my firefly build...not exactly correct, but they look okay. I will need to build the crew seating, and some incidental stuff like fire extinguishers and first aid kit....but i really dont want to get too cqrried away either as most of the interiors will not be visible....probably just that which can be seen from the front cockpit, and that bit visible from the main hatch

Attachments

• seaking10.jpg
    seaking10.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 135
Would look good with at least a representation of what can bee seen through the main hatch, and good practice at some relatively straightforward scratch-building, to build your skills. When done, if you don't like it, at least the door can be left closed.

Agree with Terry, have a go and if not liking, shut the door. Wish I'd had that photo when initially doing my interior, sadly saw it too late as had already fitted and closed in the para seating. It's done now and I'll just have to live with it.

Thanks for the compliment as well Michael but as far as detail goes, working in 1/72 is a totally different ball game to a 1/48 scale, so don't ask to much of yourself in detail on the smaller kits, most of it would be lost anyway.

thanks vic

if its okay, I am going to pinch some of the images you have posted of your build. i also have some pics of the interior of the WG HAS 31s which are helpful.

i have made a bit of a start .....have the bulkheads cut and fitted, as well as a ceiling which i might run some cabling on....might. I have no idea what wiring harness leads where, but if i can think of an easy way to do it, will attempt it.

at the risk of being thrown out of here, may I ask how you fabricated those crew seats? They really do look terrific and they do say emulation is the greatest of compliments.....at least thats my story and im sticking to it.....

thanks vic

if its okay, I am going to pinch some of the images you have posted of your build. i also have some pics of the interior of the WG HAS 31s which are helpful.

i have made a bit of a start .....have the bulkheads cut and fitted, as well as a ceiling which i might run some cabling on....might. I have no idea what wiring harness leads where, but if i can think of an easy way to do it, will attempt it.

at the risk of being thrown out of here, may I ask how you fabricated those crew seats? They really do look terrific and they do say emulation is the greatest of compliments.....at least thats my story and im sticking to it.....

No worries Michael, by all means use what you want after all the forum is open house to those who can use it.

The para jump seats, sadly I did not take loads of pics while making them but in essence they are just strips of Evergreen rod cut to shape the seat framework with cross members and then the same for the backs which are a little higher. For the canvas seat covers I just used paper, as you can see a vivid green, cut and wrapped round the framework, the same for the backs but only wrapped round the base.

The seat back straps were cut from thin Tamiya tape and stuck to the seatback paper before being folded back on itself over the seat top framework. The seat belts were cut from a yoghurt container foil lid, the pattern gives a bit of texture and to make the buckles I just folded the foil back on itself and added a touch of glue.

I glued together the seat and backs, the back slightly at an angle and then cut some more rod to form the seat legs and the diagonal braces. Once all this is in place, paint the framework and then the seats. The seat belts are then added and along with the back straps are also painted.

120504-1A.jpg

Ive made a start guys. My intention is to complete to an ASW fitout, but only those bits that are visible , so it is not intended to go overboard on the internal fitout.

What daunts me a bit is that this is 100% scratchbuilding, with all the uncertainty that goes with that....

having said that I might have half a look for aftermarket cockpit fitouts. if nothing else they might have a layout I can follow. At the moment i have a few photos and a very vague memory of the layout.

Will try and post progress in a few days.

Wish me luck

Another tip. I have found the Humbrol glue in the yellow container with the needle like applicating tube works fantastic with styrene. Sets up to handle in 10 minutes or so. I also found if I want to bend styrene rod, the really thin stuff, if I put a drop of Humb glue on the rod, let it sit for maybe 30 seconds, you can get a pretty good 90 degree bend.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained is my moto. Go for it. Gotta start somewhere. You're doin great.

If you are like me, you don't have money to throw at all the extras for your builds. I get scratching material from old bank/credit cards, the little containers that your jelly comes in at the resturant, (plastic and aluminum), old ball-point pens...
Study the picts of your subject, then break it down to basic shapes. For 1/72nd you don't need to get crazy, just get the size and shape right and let the paint do its magic.

okay, here are the shots of the scratch built interior....my first ever. hopefully i can download the pictures (there is apparently a problem with the 'manage attachments" option at the moment...if i cant dowload my progress shots i will do it later)

Attachments

• 000_0196[1].jpg
    000_0196[1].jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 000_0302[1].jpg
    000_0302[1].jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 000_0303[1].jpg
    000_0303[1].jpg
    45 KB · Views: 66
  • 000_0305[1].jpg
    000_0305[1].jpg