**** DONE: 1/72 Westland SeaKing - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was not real happy with the filling that I had done. Didnt show up until I took those close ups. I fashioned a tool for fine sanding, using thin strips of 1200 grain wet and dry, glued to a cue tip. Still not perfect, but seems to look better. No little raised ridges or pit marks.

Ive started to mask the clear glazing. Im going to hand paint the glazing frames but still need to get the sparay lines as close as I can. I will also hand paint the wheels turbines etc. Will leave attaching the rotors and the incidental attachments (like antennae) until after the paint job and possibly the decals (maybe not...will make a final decision later) have been applied.

So far am resonably happy, but the kit does have its issues

"Reasonably happy" overall, with first attempts at scratch building the interior? Couldn't ask for more than that. Now you will have the first one out of the way and will not hesitate at doing a bit more scratch building and enhancing...... look out guys!

It's coming along nicely Michael and good thinking with the wet and dry sanding. For my two cents worth, I'm leaving all the little bits off the machine (aerial, handles and such) until the decals have been added and spray coated for protection. Less protrusions to get in the way and possibly knocked off.

Yeah agree completely. nice job on the rotors incidentally Vic. I apologise, but have not had much time to do the right thing and post a comment on on your build thread.

I notice you are painting in the low vis scheme. At the risk of disqualification, i want to paint mine in the older white/grey scheme. Ive attached the undercarriage and the tail, and masked off the glazed areas. I have decided I will hand paint the supports moulded into the glazed areas, to avoid runs. at 1/72 scale some of those glazed panels are irregular in shape and very small. i think i can do a better job with a brush, over the gun.

I intend to do much the same as you otherwise....adding the little bits on after i have completed the decalling. I will assemble and attach the main rotor separately and after the main paint job. Helo rotors are always a bit of a pain if you stick them on before painting....forever masking them, and inevitably they get in the way.....a high risk of damage IMO

I notice you are painting in the low vis scheme. At the risk of disqualification, i want to paint mine in the older white/grey scheme.

No worries about the colour scheme Michael, go with wat you feel god with. I was way back initially going to do the shark scheme but decided when entering the GB to run with the birds final flight colours when they did the flypast in Sydney and the Canberra before retiring to the Nowra Naval Aviation Museum last December, it was something to test my metal.

made some significant progress tonite. got the grey white and most of the black areas of the body done. there is a lot of cleaning up to do, and i had my share of failure, particularly 1 or 2 paint runs where the white bled past the masking, but generally am satisfied.....I still have the detail around the cockpit to do and the turbine intakes as well as the undercarriage areas.

i find painting in absolute white a real pain. every imperfection tends to jump out at me, and woe betide if there is any residue left in the airbrush....it will come out straight away. this project has an added little shop of horrors. in addition to the white, there is a black layer to apply, which has a high tendency to run and when contrasted onto the white tends to show every unwanted wonky bit in the paint lines.

still, here are a couple of progress shots

Attachments

• 000_0311[1].jpg
    000_0311[1].jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 000_0312[1].jpg
    000_0312[1].jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 000_0313[1].jpg
    000_0313[1].jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 57
I agree, and white is one of the worst colours to apply, whether by brush or airbrush, so you're not alone Michael.

Do it like a ships black "boot topping", run a piece of tape the width of the line you want, where you want the line, then apply masking on either side of the first and remove the first when you have the second ones tight.
Wish I could find a picture.

I agree with the white thingy. I have found if you put a very light coat down first, let it almost dry, or even dry for that matter, then additional light coats till it is covered works best. White requires much patience. If you are doing Gloss white, first put down a coat of matt or flat as an undercoat.

Now here is a photo of 07 which I found on the internet, where are you looking at putting down more black??? Am I overlooking something?

If it is a stripe, above is the way to do it. Trim a piece of Tamiya tape the width, or shape you want and mask either side of it. Pull that to size or shape tape off and paint. Easy peasy. Best way tho is to put down the strip color, put down the trimmed tape over this, then mask each side a you need to paint each color each side. then pull that tape when all the painting is done.

Keep strggling mate, we all do it.

Attachments

• seaking_ran_07.jpg
    seaking_ran_07.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 83

Users who are viewing this thread

Back