Done : Bf-109K-4 IV./JG 53 Gruppe Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking bl**dy good Daniel!
f you can't get matt varnish, get some Tamiya flat base, and add some to the Johnson's Klear to make a semi-matt or matt clear coat.(Add it to a small amount of 'Klear' poured into a suitable cup, container or whatever, not to the bottle!!).
Don't add too much at first, and try it out on a piece of scrap. It will dry quickly, so you won't have to wait long. If it isn't matt enough, add a touch more flat base. If it goes milky, or chalky white when dry, then too much flat base has been added - just add a touch more 'Klear' until the finish is right.
It's a cheaper way of getting acrylic matt varnish, which will last much longer on the shelf and cover more, as the flat base is only needed in small amounts, and the bottle of 'Klear' should last you years, literally!

Thanks for the help mate!

So I treat it like an acrylic? Il can apply it via airbrush? If so do I just clean it with water? don't have to use thinners? (Sorry for all the questions:oops:)

Basically, it is an acrylic varnish. You can spray it neat, without thinning, but you'll find that the first couple of coats will be semi-gloss. I've used these coats successfully for decalling. Clean up is with plenty of water, and if there is build-up around the nozzle, wet it with a paint brush, and carefully pick-out the dried 'gunge' with a cocktail stick, pin, whatever. If in doubt, put a TINY drop of detergent (washing-up liquid) through the 'brush, with plenty of water, and you shouldn't have a problem.
One thing though - 'Klear' is a BIG dust magnet, so try and cover the model immediately after spraying, and DON'T TOUCH until dry! Only takes about 15 to 25 minutes to dry enough to handle carefully.
If you've any more questions, don't hesitate to ask mate.

Thanks for the help and Tips Terry ,Very much appreciated mate!

Will buy some "Klear" today if I can find it at the supermarket

Cheers Wojtek!

didn't have time to buy any "klear" ,my progress is halted:(

I couldn't find any either, 109 so at the local hobby shop I found a Testors spray Gloss Coat that worked just as well for me along with a spray of Dullcoat Flat Coat by Testors. Be careful. Don't start spraying directly on the model - start at one side and sweep over the plane in as straight a sweep as you can. Gets an even coat that way and you don't get build-up at the end of the spraying. Don't know anybody elses opinion but this has worked for me.

That's the way Chris! Whether it's an airbrush, spray can or full sized spray gun, the technique is the same, just like spraying a car. Start spraying before hitting the 'target', and follow through off the target. Always keep your wrist locked so that the 'brush/can is parrallel to the area being sprayed, and not twisting off to one side at an angle, in order to ensure an even coverage, without gaps, thin areas or build-up. With a spray can in particular, test-spray first, (onto card, a wall, the dog, anything but the model!)at a distance of at least 8 inches, to see how heavy the spray is; you might need to move the can further away from the work, to avoid too heavy a spray pattern or heavy paint deposit.

Got the drop tank painted

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back