Done : Bf109K-4 IV./JG 53 'Black 16' Gruppe Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

muller

Tech Sergeant
Apr 7, 2008
Hibernia
This is my 2nd entry in the GB, but it'll be my 1st build. I slipped out of work today for an hour and went to my LHS and bought this.

79039.jpg

(When I got there, they were unpacking a large shipment of tamiya kits, I resisted the temptation!)

I'm going to build one of the kit options, Black 16. It'll be OOB with scratched belts. One thing i noticed though. There are box shots of a completed model, the undercarraige and wheels are painted red. Is this accurate?

1.gif

I'll probably start on the cockpit tomorrow night :)

In some old profiles the Red 7 has the main landing gear legs painted red. But I'm not sure if it's correct.These red legs were used for G version with the AS engine.

During the 1600'a, a lot of poor white folk were transported to the Carribbean from Ireland and Scotland, they were made work on the plantations with the black slaves. The blacks christened them red-legs because of the affects of the hot sunny climate on their pale skin. Not a lot of people know that....

stella1.jpg

I know the feeling. A friend of mine's dad was with the 101st during Normandy. Although he didn't hit the beach, he was close enough to have "Private Ryan" upset him.

Didn't mean to derail the thread. Guess its better than referencing a Clint Eastwood movie about Red Legs. :)

Hijack away boys! :lol:

Serious question now, I've been checking that paint conversion chart Matt posted to see if I have the required paints. The Revell suggested paints for the camo are, R45-Light Olive, R66 - Olive Grey (topsides) and R75 - Stone Grey (underneath). R45 = Hu117 US Light Green, have it, R66 = Hu66 Olive Drab, got it, R75 = Hu64 Light Grey, don't have it, but I do have a 20 year old pot of R75, it looks a bit dark to me though. Anyone got any input into these colours or should I get the WEM RLM colours?

I've started it by the way! :) Cockpit primed, wings primed and pre-shaded, seat padded with milliput. Next up is cockpit painting and weathering.

For R-45 you can get two Humbrols one is like you stated Hu117 but it would be RLM80 rather.I think you can use RLM71 - Hu86 which is a little darker than RLM80 - Hu117.The colour was used for trop camo rather.

For R-66 you can use RLM81 what is close to Hu66.But it is suggested to mix Hu66 and Hu98 (160) with 1:1 proportion.

For R-75 you can use RLM76 I think.But at the end of WW2 there a few of a little bit different tonalities.

What is more, I think that Revell used the profile as a basis of making the camo pattern.In the profile it is stated that the paints used for ther camo were RLM81, RLM82, RLM76.For the green JG27 band was RLM25.
Sadly the camo seems to be incorrect with the yellow band on the nose ( it shouldn't have been there) And the Red number 1 should have been blue as the Gruppe bar as well. There is a thread about the fighter in the forum I think.Here is a link:

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/st...109k-4-12-jg27-blue-7-gruppe-build-16172.html

Attachments

• Bf109K-4 IIIJG27 Red7.jpg
    Bf109K-4 IIIJG27 Red7.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 122

Users who are viewing this thread

Back