Done : Bf-109K-4 IV./JG 53 Gruppe Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nah! It'll be fine. I thought my '110 looked wrong when I first did the RLM76, but I left it, rather than mess about. Good job, as the shade turned out OK in the end. Let it settle, and when you do the gloss coat, then the decals, you'll notice a big difference.
If you are really unhappy with it, then you could give it a light rub-down, then a thin re-paint, but that might make things worse. Let the clear coats do their job, and I think you'll be pleased mate. Put this one down to the learning/experience gaining thing - it'll still be good enough, and the next one will be better still.

Bare with me guys ,its my first attempt at mottling:|

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 64
Getting closer Daniel, and lookin good...

One thing for next time, u might want to try and add the mottling slowly in small steps rather than just doin it with a paint brush, it ends up lookin slghtly heavy if u dont... Start small and build it up.....

Try usin a q-tip cotten bud like Terry has done on a couple of his, it comes out quite realistic....

Not at all bad for a first attempt Daniel! Before you go any further though, try this. Using the base colour for the fuselage (RLM76?), very LIGHTLY go over the mottling with a dry-brush technique. You need to have the brush so that you can hardly tell there's any paint there at all. Just 'dust' it over, creating a diffusion, until you see the mottle 'softening' a bit. If you think you've done it too heavy, then do the reverse; that is, lightly dry-brush the camouflage colour of the mottling over the mottling.
If you are in any doubt about how to do this, or think you can't manage, have a practice on something first. You'll be surprised how (relatively) simple it is to do. After time, and with practice and experience, you can achieve some rather realistic and convincing effects. The mottle on my Dora was partly done this way, the rest was a slightly different brush technique.
Good luck.
Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back