DONE: F4F-4 Wildcat "13", VF-3, W. N. Leonard, USS Yorktown, Battle of Midway, GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maybe just paint those over that won't be needed and replace with new 13's? Would that be acceptable?

lovely work there...

just my 2 cents on that decal remedy...

either carefully sand them off and re-paint the area affected...or use lighter fluid on a cotton bud and slowly rub it off...sometimes this works, specially if you haven't glossed over the decals yet...

i did that on my avenger build when i set the fuselage roundels horizontally straight instead of slightly angled...

Except, by the spring of 1942, aircraft being delivered no longer came painted for specific squadrons as they did pre-war. The F4Fs which came to VF-3 at NAS Kaneohe came in dribs and drabs until the squadron came up to full strength shortly before going aboard Yorktown. The squadron did not have the "3-F-" on its side numbers as AirBatForPac had already decreed that there would be no squadron identifiers.

And, yes, I know that the TBFs from VT-8 detachment at Midway had "8-T-x" side numbers, but that was because they were shipped directly from San Diego after flying across country from Norfolk, where they fell under AirLantFor which had not yet made the change, and a day or so after arrival at Pearl flew on to Midway. Compare to the VT-8 TBDs aboard Hornet, no "8-" on their sides.

Bottom line, there were no "3-F-" markings to paint over.

Rich

Last edited:
Getting closer....

DSCF0014-17.jpg

DSCF0015-15.jpg

DSCF0016-11.jpg

DSCF0019-13.jpg

DSCF0022-6.jpg

DSCF0023-7.jpg

DSCF0024-6.jpg

DSCF0025-5.jpg

DSCF0029-6.jpg