**** DONE: F4U-1D Corsair USNASLVK - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I believe they could be lowered manualy for maintenance Vic. The wing opposite has the bar still attached holding the wing up fast. I think I recal seeing some pictures this way.

When I painted the rear wheel assy I noticed the little triangle shaped tow ring is just a block, so I opened it. Then taking another look at the wheel I saw I could open it up all the way thru the caster section, so I done that.

Working on the wheel wells I was gonna replace the cylinders with scratch built, but then you can't see in there unless mounted on a mirror. So decided if I can't see it without picking the thing up, I'm not gonna stress myself with fussing over it. But I may add rods up to the doors from the kit cyls.

I'm attaching a quick pic of the NAS LVK site. The Livermore airport, LVK, has two runways, 25R L, 07R L and are almost inline with the old NAS flight line on the right of the big pad in the photo. This site is now the Lawrence Livermore National Lab.

Attachments

• NASLVK  WWII.jpg
    NASLVK WWII.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 106
I started on the wing hinge assy. Thought I would make the cylinder look a little more realistic so I cut the "round" sections out and replaced with round PVC rod. I may cut the long rod off and replace it as well with PVC rod. Just doing one wing up so I don't have to make two sides look alike. Next I will work on the gun bay. With one wing up, I will make the open gun bay being serviced with a gun out.

I am not entirely happy with the Verlinden engine, so I have ordered a Quickboost one as it looks a little better. Call me silly. Maybe someone on the forum could use the Verlinden? Just let me know.

I sailor on.

Attachments

• NASLVK 4 wing hinge.jpg
    NASLVK 4 wing hinge.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 87
  • NASLVK 4b wing hinge.jpg
    NASLVK 4b wing hinge.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
So I have the wing walls attached, just to the lower hallves so I can keep working on them.

In cutting the gun bay area open I think I will just have the guns exposed with one gun out of the bay for maintenance, maybe I already posted that? As in the photo. I have made the first saw cut up the wing, scored across the top to break it out and then trim to the lines on the wing with a knife and files.

Next post when this bay is finished. I try and get One thing done, or started before going off ro work, and finsh one thing in the evening. Or, I will just ignore the build and get farrrr behind.

Attachments

• NASLVK 5 gun bay.jpg
    NASLVK 5 gun bay.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 93
Good stuff Bill. Here's a pic I took at Duxford especially for modellers, which might help with the wing fold mechanism.

Attachments

• Duxford  May 2011 113.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 113.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 184

Users who are viewing this thread

Back