**** DONE: F4U-1D Corsair USNASLVK - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. I plold along.
Looking back at the F4U-1D start to finish buyild of Totalise, I am using his as a "model", play on wirds. Bad eh!
I noticed what he had done to the front cowling. The 18 little gussets at the front roll. Being as how I think I have spent enough of my hard earned cash on this plane already, I did choose to do some more scratch stuff. The Vector aftermarket cowl kit is about $25 UA but it a beauty!

So I used a PE saw blade, dragged it around the outside and gradually cut thru at the seam. Sanded both surfaces to smooth them. I used some swuare stick about .75mm and glued the around the inside to make the flage. Another PVC stick was trimmed at a slope on one side and cut off at 4mm long. Then glued the 18 of them inside the front cowl. A little more crude than the Vector stuff, but then ... So I've got all that I'm gonna do to the cowls done.

Been working on the gun bay, the ailerons, wings and flaps. I sailor on.

Attachments

• NASLVK 6a cowl.jpg
    NASLVK 6a cowl.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 77
  • NASLVK 6b cowl.jpg
    NASLVK 6b cowl.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 71
  • NASLVK 6c cowl.jpg
    NASLVK 6c cowl.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 113
Started looking at the control surfaces today. The aftermarket rudder has a height problem. Now I have to decide wether to cut the kit rudder off and use it, or add PVC to the bottom of the AM piece.

I've been told I have a bit of an insanity streak. This proves it. Don't let anyone ever tell you AM parts are easy. Taken several hours to make the gunbays fit! Now look at the rudder! Plus the AM cockpit kit seat has molded seat belts, yick.

I sailor on.

Attachments

• NASLVK 7a rudder.jpg
    NASLVK 7a rudder.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 74
  • NASLVK 7b rudder.jpg
    NASLVK 7b rudder.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 72
Scratch building, you performed well Bill and I tend to agree with aftermarket resin, it's a bit of a hit and miss method that can come good sometimes. I've a box full of bit to prove it!!

Nope, that is the problem, the gray looking thing is over the kit tail and you can see about 1mm of the bottom line of the rudder on the kit....... And, the resin rudder is no improvement over the kit, so I will be cutting the kit tail off and using it.

The question was rised about one wing up and one down. I sent my friend Vic a picture hoping it would sufice, but alas he burst my bubble the Corsair on the carrier elevator was probably lowering wings on the way up to the flight deck. But I have another.... it's another stretch, but does this one count????????? I found it on the net.

Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• image021.png
    image021.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 63
Say she's under testing, recovery or being serviced, and bob's your aunty's live-in lover Bill! :)
(other than that, I think she'd only be seen in that configuration while wings were being raised or lowered under hydraulic power, ie pilot in cockpit)

Coupla pics from Squadron/Signal 145: F4U Corsair in Action:

STA51900.JPG

STA51898.JPG

Last edited:
Does this help with the fin and rudder Bill? It's the Corsair at Duxford, undergoing deep service.

Attachments

• Czech 041.jpg
    Czech 041.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 63

Users who are viewing this thread

Back