**** DONE: GB-36 1/32 Bf109G-10 Erla - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking good, The other saving grace is that the port side has the supercharger intake which will hide a lot of what's under it.

Looking great John! That Reaver cowling sure gives it a cool bull-nose look.

Glad the glue worked out well. That'll inspire me to get off my arse and have a play with the Permatex stuff...

Yes, the Reaver cowling adds a definite bulge that better implies the underlying powerplant upgrade than the Revell molding, I think. I'm putting the finishing touches on the transition by putting back some of the panel lines.
IMG_1535.jpg

IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

Checking the look of the canopy pieces in place after the engine cowling has been mounted.
IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

Rolling along now... from this angle, before the wings are mounted, you can get a sense of how drastic the bulge is over the DB605 engine.
IMG_1541.jpg

I made up a tab from brass sheeting to mount the aerial on the rudder. This tab will be cut to size when the time comes but right now it is easier to handle (and not lose) as a overly long piece. I am going to re-think the spring on the antenna mast as I've been told that there was none.
IMG_1550.jpg

The wing pitot tube has been replaced with pieces of brass tubing.
IMG_1551.jpg

Time to attach the wings. I've decided to mount the upper wings first so that I can get a good flush fit at the wing root join, which is always a tough one to clean up.
IMG_1552.jpg

The joint here is not the most positive so I elected to mount the bottom of the wing on the port side after the top of the wing attachment was solid. The bottom of the wings are presented in halves like the top so the order was port top, port bottom, starboard top, starboard bottom.
IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

There are some gaps at the bottom that need to be filled and faired in. You can see a shim that I used to bridge some of the gap.
IMG_1555.jpg

A few days will probably be spent cleaning up that joint as well as the seams between the wing tops and bottoms.
IMG_1558.jpg

The wing root joint will be cleaned up too and then the joint re-scribed.
IMG_1559.jpg

Thank you for the comments! The wings are on and it is starting to look like an aeroplane now.
IMG_1560.jpg

I'm just plodding along cleaning up the cowling transition on the bottom. The first application of Milliput and Mr Surfacer 1000 has been sanded...
IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

The primer shows that I need to do at least one more iteration of putty/sanding before I can start rescribing the panel lines. But it is relief to know that the worst is behind me.
IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

Thanks guys! The short time I've been on the workbench has been spent puttying and sanding smaller areas. I'm wrapping up the transition between the engine cowling and the fuselage. Added a panel line along the bottom.
IMG_1575.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

The scribed lines are bit squiggly but that's the best I can do right now through the mixed materials used for the patch work. It's a learning process and I've gotten better at this. No more trying to freehand straight panel lines, even for short sections... much better result using the Dymo tape as a ruler. I've learned to use magnification to help improve my work, especially these types of close-up photos. They can be brutally revealing but using them to identify and correct flaws results in better work.
IMG_1577.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

The wing root joint has also been cleaned up although it was never bad to begin with. I simply ran some Mr Surfacer 1200 to even out the bead of Milliput that I had pushed into the gap, sanded and then lightly scribed a panel line in the joint.
IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

I've received some observations regarding the tail structure of the G-10. Most likely, the tail unit was a wooden one as the metal tail tail with rivets and panel lines were retro-fit improvements on conversions. So say good-bye to the rivets and panel line on soon-to-become the wooden tail!
IMG_1582.jpg

I filled using CA glue. I made the mistake of grabbing a quick dinner between application and sanding. CA glue, as a filler, is best sanded immediately after hardening. The harder it dries, the harder the stuff is to sand. I had to resort to a rougher grade sandpaper to cut the CA down. The slight surface irregularities revealed by the primer will be evened out.
IMG_1583.jpg

That's it for now. Thanks for checking in!

Nice progress John. I also use magnification for nearly all my work now, especially in the smaller scales and given my deteriorating eyesight! It does significantly improve the quality of your work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back