**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Bf110D - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Got the first upper surface colour on, using Humbrol No.105 Marine Green enamel for the RLM71, which looks about right - or close enough for me, anyway.
I slightly over-thinned the first coat, which dried patchy and streaky, and also picked up a little moisture, which I think I'd failed to notice in the compressor moisture trap / filter. No problem though, cleaned and blew out the airbrush, ensured the moisture trap was drained etc, and added an in-line moisture trap / filter to the airline at the 'brush end.
Second coat had less thinners, and went on OK. I'll let this dry for around 12 hours or so, then see if any areas need a 'blow over' before doing the masking for the splinter pattern of RLM 70, which will be mixed using the Humbrol 105 plus matt black.
Pics when I can ................

Two hours masking and around 2 meters of tape, one hour spraying the Schwarzgrun, and 90 minutes removing the tape, and the upper surface splinter camouflage is done !
There's a tiny bit of minor re-touching required in a couple of places on the upper/ lower demarcation, as shown below, in the colour pic of a model I'm building ......

It's a b*gger not having a camera after 50+ years of always having one !!

How'd you get a phone without a camera? I've got the most basic flip phone Verizon has and it has a camera and plays music. The one I had before that back in 2002 even had a camera

Was easy Mike. My previous Motorola 'Razr' was fine, and had a camera, but after some time, one or two of the buttons sometimes wouldn't work.
So I walked into a 'phone store, and asked for a simple, no-nonsense 'phone, and bought a basic Nokia 105 for £25 - that was about four years ago I think, maybe more, and it's worked fine ever since.
Makes calls, sends and receives text messages, got a calculator, converter, radio, clock and alarm etc, and a few other things, but no camera - great !
I could have a free 'state of the art' i-phone from my service provider, but apart from the fact I can't use one, due to my fingers (I'd probably launch an ICBM without knowing !), they're too bl**dy big and delicate, and I don't need to be on-line wherever I go, 24/7, and never see the sky !

Yea, me too in spades. Will Never understand the fascination with this "social media" crepe. My old flip was getting on 10YO and I had cracked the screen. They gave me this "new" LG Exalt which is their "simplest flip phone. I had the internet disabled on it as Verizon charges for data used. The music player is OK and you can download songs onto from the computer as well as these ringtones. That way I know without looking whose calling and can answer or not. I even text a bit and it is chool to text Vic in Oz and get an answer back

Thanks Wayne. It's progressing quite well, although now the the paint is on, more damage from the burglary is evident - one wing root joint has moved slightly, one tail plane joint also, and the lower fuselage joint is now more visible.
None of these were noticed with just the primer coat, except the tail plane joint, which was repaired, along with the broken-off fin. But the wing root joint is only just noticeable if inspected closely, and the fuselage joint was there on the real thing anyway, so not too bad.
As for the paint, I did a 'soft edge' mask for the upper / lower demarcation, wanting, and achieving, a subtle soft edge, almost hard but not quite. As a result of the 'spaced' mask, the demarcation line is not quite even, especially on the nose section, but again, it's not immediately obvious, so it will have to do - not going for competitions or prizes with this one, it's just going in the cabinet as part of the BoB collection.
I should have a camera of one sort or another by the middle of the week (unless the Christmas silly season delays the mail !), so I should be able to post some 'catch up' pics.
Oh, and some advice to anyone wanting to do a Bf110 - choose a subject without the early-style splinter camouflage, as it's a real bastid to mask !!

Aaarrrgh, NO !!!

Thanks Glenn, got a few more bits ad pieces done, but still can't get any pics.
The little compact digital camera arrived, but the memory card, ordered elsewhere on the same day, and dispatched last Saturday, has still not arrived - looks like the obviously unexpected increase in mail at Christmas has effected deliveries, or it could be the 'extreme' weather - slightly colder rain and a few wet leaves on the roads !!

There's a slim chance it might arrive tomorrow .... er, later today.
With a bit of lick, I might have at least one replacement DSLR by the end of next week too.

Yay !
I finally managed to get some colour pics of a model I'm building !!
Not the best pics in the world, as they were taken with a small, Fuji compact digital camera, but at least a bit better than a pencil drawing or a blank page.
The RLM65 was done using Humbrol No. 65, and the splinter pattern was masked over the RLM 71, which was Humbrol No.105 matt enamel, the RLM 70 being a mix of the Humbrol No.105 and matt black. Both the colours are a fairly close match to the actual colours, matched against the Xtracolor paints, but lightened slightly for 'scale effect'.
The model then had four coats of Humbrol acrylic gloss varnish, brushed on, which is almost a full gloss overall, and will hopefully be sufficient to aid the settling of the decals, which I hope to start on either later tonight, or some time tomorrow.
Note that the bl**dy port aileron came off again, but fortunately, I didn't drop the model this time.
Around four hours were also spent masking the seven-part canopy, and this has since been painted,first in the interior colour of RLM02, and then the camouflage colours,with those interior frames visible through the open sections also painted in RLM02.

I'v ordered some good, used DSLRs and lenses to get me back in business, and these should be with me by Friday, and early next week, so all being well, I'll have better pics soon.

Users who are viewing this thread