**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Fw 200 C-4 "Condor" - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you Sir, as always high praise from someone of your skills.
The weather here is in its weird cycle of warm day followed by cold and ZERO rain. The rain we've received Sept - December equals the rain fall in just two days in August. That plus the 40 - 60kph winds have us in a severe drought and a high fire alert. That plus the cretins who just HAVE to burn the last 10 leaves that fell... Oh well.
Cold and windy today so time to finish the rear fuselage section. Next up will be painting the interior of the fuselage and then the exterior in the maritime RLM 72/73. While I always spray the lighter first that's not so easy with these two. Both 72 and 73 are named Grun and both are very close. To my eye RLM 72 is more grayish than 73 which to me is a bit more greenish. So I'm thinking that I'll spray the entire top RLM 72 and the splinter sections with the greenish RLM 73. Any opinions gentlemen?
Zo here be the finished rear fuselage interior NOTA BENE!!! SEAT BELTS on BOTH rear seats (well my version anyway)

IMG_2133.JPG
IMG_2134.JPG
IMG_2135.JPG
IMG_2136.JPG
IMG_2137.JPG

Thank you all and Terry what is your take on RLM 72 and 73. I'd say 72 is grayer and 73 greener thus 72 is my base coat and 73 forms the splinter pattern.

From the colour chips I've seen, I'd say that the RLM 72 is slightly lighter, so yes, go with that first.
These two are slightly different to the 'normal' numbering system, as, generally, the lower the number, the darker the shade, for example RLM 70 Schwarzgrun, and RLM71 Dunkelgreun.

Apologies, I transposed the numbers !
Yes, it's the same system - lower number = darker shade.
On my monitor, the ones that Geo posted look rather darker than the colour chips I viewed, but yes, the RLM 73 is the lighter shade, so better for the first colour and / or base coat.

I'm afraid but these RLM colours posted by Geo seem to be a little different from those tones my references stated. The RLM 72 and 73 are the naval equivalents of the RLM 70 and 71. Both of colours were the greyish green paints. The RLM 72 is said to be approximately FS 34058 while the RLM 73 - the FS 34159. However it seems that both of them couldn't vary too much in the base tone form the RLM70 and RLM71. The difference seen in the pics above could has been caused by the photographic film/paper and using of filters.
The suggested paints for modelling are the Tamiya XF-27 ( RLM72) and XF-27 ( RLM73 )

Yes I have already seen that. But if these colours were the greyish variants of the RLM70 and 71 it doesn't mean these paints were grey. The RLM 72 shouldn't be the dark grey one then. Both names say Grun ( green ) even at the list you posted above. Taking that into consideartion I would say these could be obtained if you would mix both the RLM70 and 71 with a grey colour. In the case the RLM70 should get lighter tone but still dark green and the RLM71 should become more light green. Also it might have been there were used the RLM70/71 instead. Here is interesting article about models painted with the true RLM 70/71/65 colours.

Camouflage & Markings: Luftwaffe Bomber Camouflage - Live

Last edited:
Yep... very likely.

According to the article and pics there I would say the RLM70 and 71 paints were darker ones. But if we assume these are the correct colours please try to add some of grey to them. I'm afraid any of them wouldn't become the grey paint unless you added a lot of the grey and that pigment would replace the green tone entirely.

Also found the set :

RLM 72 - FS34056
RLM 73 - FS34092

fs34056.jpg
fs34092.jpg

I went through all this noise on my Ar196 and yes, the 72 is darker so I'd paint the 73 first. Here's the colour card form Merrick's tome with some of my mix trials. I ended up going with the second from the left and the farthest to the right.

17101701.jpg

Here is a scan of a German source saying on how these two colours were obtained. According to that the base, as I suspected, were the RLM70/71 and mixed with a blue-grey colour.

Schowek01.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back