**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 FW190A-5 - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Very light powder Geo. 15cm was last night and is wrong. More like 25. The funny little shapes on the tree are the berries that stayed on my Mountain Ash. No wind to knock the snow off.

20171220_094857.jpg

Terry, get yer coat and sweat next to Kirby! Official snowfall was 31cm and 5 more on the way tomorrow. Not enough to stop me going to the pub to meet some mates.

Anyway, I've finally dicked around enough with the blisters to call them done. They aren't perfect (they are just a tad too big) but I'm satisfied with the effort. The final touch was to scribe in the fasteners.

17122001.jpg
17122002.jpg

The bogus wheel well cut-out was next on the list. I cut the inner sections along the panel lines to open up the area for the inner doors. I kept the cut-outs in case I can use them as part of the doors as I will have to replicate an odd curve and also the slot for the exhaust fairing.

17122003.jpg
17122004.jpg

With that done, I was able to insert the wheel well to check the fit. Doing so revealed that I made the ejection chutes too long. I'll need to file them down.

17122009.jpg

I also finished off the pit and stuck it in. I added the throttle but didn't bother with the friction adjuster as it will not be seen.

17122005.jpg
17122006.jpg
17122007.jpg
17122008.jpg

On to the wings. Before bringing the upper and lower sections together, I drilled out the MG151 ejector slots and built up the inside walls with thick card.

17122010.jpg

That should do for today's update. Thanks for looking in and, Kirby, I hope you sunburned your a$$.

Great work all round Andy, especially the blisters.
Transport that shed to London, and you'd be able to get £1,000 per week rent when a family moved in !

And for posting that beach pic, I hope Kirby gets sun blisters whilst the rest of us are freezing our nuts off !!

Thanks very much chaps. Looks like the reviews I read will come true with challenges at the wing/fuselage/cowl juncture. There will be blood......

17122011.jpg

Thanks guys. Fit-up of the wings and engine cowl was a bear of a task and I didn't stop to take photos. I started by gluing the lower wing attachment at the fuselage underside at the rear and made sure that I allowed the glue to dry so the wings were securely in place before tackling the dihedral and the gaps at the wing roots. I then secured the model perfectly upright with a clamp on my bench, wedged some material under the wings to get the correct dihedral, and then began gluing spacers into the wing roots using both Tamiya Extra Thin and CA.

After allowing the wings to set last night, I wrestled the cowl into place. This took a bit of brute force, patience, and copious amounts of CA with interior reinforcing strips to get the thing to sit properly and yet there were large gaps that needed to be filled where the wing leading edge met the cowl. These were again filled with bits of card and sprue and everything has now bee set aside to cure. Following some yoga and deep breathing exercises (not really), I will then get on with filing and sanding all these areas. The wing roots wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the large cannon blisters that are in the way. These will no doubt lose some detail in the process.

The pics:
17122201.jpg
17122202.jpg
17122203.jpg
17122204.jpg

The last thing done was to glue in a little piece of brass tube to represent the orphan exhaust pipe. Oh, and in this pic, you can also see that I successfully managed to get the ejector chutes flush with the underside. The was done with a flat jeweller's file.

17122205.jpg

Thanks for stopping by once more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back