**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 FW190A-5 - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You have come the way of the Dark Side Andy....I use alot more plastic these days with a fair amount of glue;looking good by the way. ;)

A few minutes at a time were spent over the last several days doing nothing but dealing with poor fits in the wing roots and at the cowling. t eh cowling, there were steps that had to be dealt with and I chose to build up low areas with plastic card rather than putty. In this first pic, some card had already been applied and sanded down but more has been built up, especially around the MG17 openings because I plan to cut out the moulded-in gun muzzles and replace them with brass tubing. Filing alone at the back of the gun cowl near the pit was sufficient to being these surfaces into alignment and the cooling air exit fairing was allowed to stay proud. The little bulges need to be worked around, which makes these operations tricky and you'll see in the following sequences that I do manage to lose some of this detail but this is easily replaced with drops of CA.

17122601.jpg

Here the muzzles have been drilled out and the troughs were deepened a bit with a file. The sanded areas have received a thin coat of primer to inspect of further imperfections and build-up and feathering-in of the low areas continues with the addition of old Tamiya primer which is nice and thick. Here you can also see that the engine cooling exit louvres got some nicks from the file.

17122602.jpg

Same thing going on in the wing roots.

17122603.jpg

After the primer has dried, another pass with micro-mesh pads. I'm now losing the tops of the smaller blisters.

17122604.jpg

The front edges of the wheel well openings received about 1 to 2mm of card as they were too wide and revealed the wall of the well. Filling is also necessary here.

17122605.jpg

After today's round of sanding and priming, things are starting to come together but there is still a low spot in the port wing root that needs attention. Of course, it's right opposite the cannon blister which needs to stay intact.

17122606.jpg

The cowl is close to being done though no rescribing has been done as yet. The fastener outlines that we discussed earlier have been filled in as they will be rescribed on the top of the cowl for this A-5.

17122607.jpg

The complex curves at the underside wing roots still need work.

17122608.jpg

I anticipate 2 or three more sessions like those above until I see these areas to be finished to an acceptable level. I won't bore you with further nonsense like this but will update when I get it to the final stage, including the rescribing.

Thanks for stopping by. Take some cookies with you on the way out. I'm eating too many....

YIkes... some major corrective surgery on this one! Thanks for showing us the process... I think it's helpful to see these types of corrections being made.

Thanks everyone and yes, it's my least favourite aspect of the hobby but very necessary on this kit unfortunately. Plodding on....

Not much fun Kevin but I think it's pretty close. The uppers have been levelled and rescribed but I'm not happy with the damage around the cooling louvre edges so I may play with these a bit more.

17123101.jpg
17123102.jpg
17123103.jpg
17123104.jpg

Rescribing the panel line behind the intake air ducts was a real challenge as it's impossible to get any sort of template in these confined areas so they were done freehand. The mediocre results are not a surprise and I'll need to touch these up some more.

17123105.jpg
17123106.jpg

With the above done, I'll be able to get the tail planes on now that they won't be in the way of any further work on the uppers. Thanks again for looking in and for your comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back