**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 FW190A-5 - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. A wee update:

The first 5 pics show the completed canopy details, including the home made armour plate which has been painted and the warning placard decal added. This was fiddly work but Dragon did a nice job of providing the right amount of detail, including the canopy ejection rail which fits under the PE sill and allows the canopy to slide open and closed. Though that's kind of neat, I will have to glue the canopy down as it sits a bit proud of the sill and leaves a small gap that is easily pressed down with light finger pressure. I gave the slot at the back of the canopy a floor made of plastic card as on the real aircraft. This served as the opening for the ejection rail which can be seen peeking out with the canopy closed. Also just seen is the antenna wire on the inside of the canopy. The A-5 still had the spring loaded reel which kept the antenna taut so I made this a straight piece using sprue.

18010504.jpg
18010505.jpg
18010506.jpg
18010507.jpg
18010508.jpg

Next, I bit the bullet and got on with the missing inner landing gear doors. These will be somewhat complex as the doors not only covered the inner well but incorporated the trough for the lower exhaust pipes as well. To start, I first taped one of the strut covers into place. Note that I had to put back some material here as I inadvertently cut too much off earlier.

18010509.jpg

I then taped over the remaining opening and cut out a template using a scalpel.

18010510.jpg

The tape was then used to cut the door skins out of plastic card. Two were made from the same template.

18010501.jpg

A quick check shows that the shape is about right. Since I will be posing the doors open, it's not critical that they fit the holes exactly.

18010511.jpg

Now for the tricky part. The inner section from the front of the door to the ejector chute opening is cut off and a vertical wall is CA-glued at the cut line. A quick check for fit shows I'm still on the right track.

18010502.jpg

Next, the slice that I cut off earlier is glued back on, this time in the recess for the exhaust trough. The trough gets shallower gradually toward the back of the door. Another check for fits shows that I got this close but I may do some adjustment here after looking at my reference pics closer to see confirm if I should be out of the trough by the time I reach the ejector chute, which I suspect is the case.

18010503.jpg

I'm also now suspecting that the shape of the front edge of the door should be straighter, rather than the sharp bend i now have in it. This would mean modifying the well opening too so I will check all this tomorrow and report back. Apart form that, the fun will really begin when I tackle the inner faces of the doors which have several stiffening ribs that would need to be replicated.

See you later.

Thanks everyone. I will indeed need to do some rework here. Note the line of the opening in this scale drawing:

Capture.JPG

Which means that I should cut the openings as shown below and make new inner doors accordingly.

18010502 mod.jpg

Actually, now that I look at it, I'll need to do a combination of cutting the opening as well as extending the fixed part of the exhaust trough. The end of the red line will need to intersect the plate between the wheel wells further back. The plan is set.

Thanks guys. Intricate surgery indeed, though it turned it to be fairly easy as I'll show later but first I want to show you what I've been up to on the gear doors and the challenges with replicating the interior ribs. The detail I'm faced with is as shown in the below pic.

Capture.JPG

I rued over a couple of methods for replicating the raised details here and decided to try making the details from styrene card on my new digital cutter. I started by scanning the shape of one of the doors that I made into Adobe Illustrator and drawing the door details using my Mk I Eyeball.
18011001.jpg

The resulting file was then transferred to my digital cutter software and adjusted to scale. After dicking around with the cutter depths and the software for a bit, I managed to get the pattern to successfully cut through some 0.2mm styrene card and produce the needed details (sorry for the crappy pics):

18011002.jpg

Here's the fabricated detail placed loosely onto the door. I'm rather stoked with the results and will proceed with finishing the doors now. Having said that, I think I will redo these to make them a tad larger as they look to be a bit small. This is an easy fix by simply typing in a new width with locked aspect ratio and sending the revised file to the cutter.

18011003.jpg

Thanks for checking in everyone.

IMHO it wouldn't have been a mess. Just it depends on the way you follow to make a such shape. Here my wheel bay doors made from scratch for my 1/72 scale Bf 109F... looking good I would say. ;)

a.JPG

b.JPG

c.JPG

d.JPG

That's great - obviously a great machine, and worth the investment.
Now you're going to hate me - I've just seen a resin set for 1/48th scale FW 190 wheel bay ejection chutes, in a one-piece casting that drops in !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back