**** DONE: GB-36 1/72 BF 109E-4 - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree with Terry fully. Additionally the adding of the white to the XF23 is a good idea. It should result in the lighter tone. You may add a drop of a blue paint to get a better light blue colour. But it is not needed.

Thanks to you both and I'm certainly going to go back and have a look again.

I don't think however that applying XF-23 straight is going to yield the same colouration as appears in your model. If it did, I would happily pack up this travelling show and accede to the advice. XF-23 is much more blue than appears on either your 110 or the 109 posted above.....at least that's how it looks to me

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-7XMKdioiGPzOUpG9AoI_7axA-IOYd9yPsYEuVyF1oWztrejX.jpg

My own test strips reinforce that shown on this strip. The blue needs to be a lot less intense in my opinion in order to replicate the colours you have achieved and which I think are the accurate representation of this particular aircraft.

Michael.. the appearance of the a paint is always different from that one you may find in the printed sample colour scanned. Here is the Humbrol 65 that is suggested to be the RLM65. It is quite good equivalent as the Tamiya XF23 IMHO. I used the Hu65 for my 1/24 scale Bf 109E-3. Please have a look at the pics below. Have you see the difference? Its tinge depends on the light around but also on the next colours applied.

H65.jpg

mal5-jpg.jpg

mal5a-jpg.jpg

camo3b-jpg.jpg

camo3d-jpg.jpg

Michael, you've already posted Tamiya mixes for several RLM colours in post #17 of this thread. For your convenience -

RLM 02:- XF22:1 + XF49:1
RLM 65:- XF23:1 + XF2:1
RLM 70: XF27
RLM 71:- XF62:1 + XF49:1
RLM 74:- XF24:3 + XF27:2
RLM 75:- XF24:5 + XF50:1
RLM 76:- XF2:7 + XF23:1 + XF66:2
RLM 79:- XF59:3 + XF64:1
RLM 80:- XF58
RLM 81:- XF51:1 + XF64:2
RLM 82:- XF5 or XF5:1 + XF2:1 or XF5:1 +XF3:1 (Bright Green)
RLM 83:- XF61 or XF24:1 + XF51:1 (Dark Green)

As you can see, a 50-50 mix of XF23 and white is recommended for RLM 65. Gunze also produce a range of ready to go RLM colours, which is what I use.

Wotjek, re your post #83

that's an excellent match, I have to admit, but working on your advice in Post 81, I think the addition of some white (XF-2) to the basic XF-23 is advisable, but sparingly.

last night I mixed 6x XF-23 to 4x XF-2. the Result was too light, such that it appeared nearly white on the test card. I was running thinner at 60/40 to the paint to try and decrease the intensity and make it easier to apply incidentally .

I might increase the proportion of XF-23 to an 80/20 mix to achieve the tinge you have running through your 1/24 scale 109.

hi Kirby. as you can see, from the above ive mixed XF-23 to XF-2 at the ratio of 60/40, and I think it came up slightly too white, not enough blue to match wotjeks colouration. I need to add a bit more blue to the mix to make it work better. My guess is that the proportion needs to increase to an 80/20 mix....

That's true. Especially if you have to mix colours. What about Model Master ones? Can you buy them there? The MM colours could be the 2078 for enamel or the 4778 for acrylic.

Last edited:
It's a pandora's box!! I've also seen a 2:1 mix of XF-23 to XF-2 recommended for RLM65.

Can you get your hands on Gunze paints? I really like them to spray (better than Tamiya) and they have a range of RLM colours that look good to me.

If you're using acrylics, then Vallejo also do RLM colours, in both the ready for airbrush Model Air, and the standard range, the latter being more cost effective, as they go virtually twice as far when thinned.
I'm not keen on acrylic paints, but having used a couple of the Vallejo colours, i have to say they work beautifully and, for acrylics, are relatively resistant to abrasion, lifting etc.

if they are locally available (I live in a regional centre, with just one model shop in town, and nearest next shop more than 90 miles away), and they are available at a reasonable price, then the ready to paint colours is a far better option. I will have a look later today

thanks everyone.

I made enquiries about paint availability. The local shop is going to stock a full range of Vallejo, but right at the moment doesn't have any. I will have to stick to the plan and get the Tamiya mix proportions right.

So, ive modified the mix now to a 70/30 mix between XF23 and XF2. ran a test card, using 100% XF23 as my benchmark

I was encouraged by the results and decided to take a plunge and test the made up colour on the model. ive sprayed the port side half of the fuselage, and the cowl in the 70/30 mix. I think it looks pretty good, but am curious as to what you guys think......

test card.jpg

Test paint 1 XF23 70% XF2 30%.jpg

Test paint 2 XF23 70% XF2 30%.jpg

so there it is.....what do you think?

It looks OK, and the 'starkness' should go when the other colours are applied. The first time I used the Humbrol No.65 straight out of the tin, some years ago, I thought it looked far too bright and glaring, so altered it, only to find it looked wrong when the upper colours were applied. So I re-sprayed in 'neat' 65.
There does seem to be a very slight green tinge, but this is more likley to be the lighting, or the effect of the green cutting mat. Digital sensors set for auto white balance seem to have a problem with green backgrounds, and adjust accordingly !
Personally, I think I'd stick with the mix if you are happy with it.

Wow, I'm gone for a day and missed so much. I use Tamiya paints exclusively and would use the following for your scheme:

RLM 65: 4XF-23 + 1XF-2 (I start with this and lighten a second post shade with a little more XF-2)
RLM 71: Straight XF-61
RLM 02: 5XF-22 + 5XF-49 + 2XF-2

My seat, control column and exhausts arrived today. I can restart now, except another batch heat is headed our way. This is driving me nuts.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back