**** DONE: GB-37 1:48 BP DEFIANT - Helicopters / Military a/c of BoB 1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good luck with the plan. Would a clear coat over the mask help at all?

Thanks Michael. I thought about it.....hard but on the curves and over the raised areas on the wings: once the mask is pressed down it lifts almost immediately so the clear would never have a chance. The odd thing is, the masks are a struggle to remove when I try to reposition them, hanging on like the proverbial limpet

Curious to see how it turns out and whether you think they are worth buying. I've just cut my own from Tamiya tape in the past.

I have my doubts that what I plan to do will work Andy but worth a shot. As I mentioned when I bought them, even though these were released a few years ago I could find no one else online that has used them so I would be your guinea pig. I paid about $5CAN for them so not all that costly to try but I doubt I would use them again. There are no directions on how to use them in the package or on the AML website but maybe there is a preferred way to use that I'm not doing. I spent about 15 minutes adding a 3 part mask around the left stab last night. Three left and the paint flies.

Looking good though. :)

Thank you sir :hello2:

Good stuff Geo.
I've never fancied using that type of mask, or making my own, as they seem rather awkward to use, and of course, the lifting problem could be a pain.

Thanks Terry and Hugh. Gentlemen......I hope you are sitting down. No one will be more stunned than me for what I am about to show you. Stunned I tells ya. With the masks all in place I decided to grow a pair and start spraying. I fully expected to see a sh!t-ton of bleed under due to the masks not settling properly. To combat this I decided to dilute my paint/thinner ratio to 1:1 instead of 2:1 and set the air pressure to about 15psi instead of the usual 20. I also set my AB paint flow to almost nil. With that all set up I started spraying from the masking tape out. I traced around the tape first and then filled in the centers. Once I had my paint station and AB cleaned up I took a deep breath and started peeling the tape away....

IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG

The sharp eyed among you will notice small paint lift on the nose and left wing. These are my fault as once I saw that there was no disaster on the right wing I was in a rush to get the rest of the tape off. I took my time with the rest. There is also a small bleed under on the left rear of the turtle deck but this was only tacked on for painting and will be an easy fix

Last edited:
Thanks all. 22 l'il bits of tape later...

IMG_0003.JPG

I spent a good deal of time trying to figure out where on the turret the last four pieces of tape went...

IMG_0008.JPG

....it was turned over and over, looked at on the inside, checked the bits that could make for a doors open version and then finally, a light bulb moment...leading edge landing lights. Had I figured this out earlier I would have glued them to the wings before painting the camo

Looks so nice Geo.
I think the Defiant was one of my first GB entries, 1/72nd and it was the first time I used PE.
I'm sure it was the Only 1/72nd I've done. I think it was so I could get more planes per shelf! Pfffft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back