**** DONE GB-37 1/72 BP Defiant MK I - Helicopters / Military a/c of BoB 1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

destrozas

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 12, 2010
1/72 Boulton paul defiant MK I - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Username
:destrozas
First name:sergio
Category:intermediate
Scale:1/72
Manufacturer:Airfix #A02069 (New tools).
Model Type:boulton paul defiant MK I
Addons: none.

the plane framed in the 264sqn, and this is the history of the squadron in that period of time, source the squadron's page, History | 264 Squadron

10 The enemy had learnt his lesson from this beating, and the next day the Squadron lost seven aircraft but destroyed nine enemy aircraft. Thus, at the end of their first month's operations, the Squadron had destroyed sixty-five enemy aircraft for the loss of fourteen Defiants. The Squadron was then withdrawn from day operations.
11 June and July 1940 was a period of rest and training for the Squadron, the emphasis being placed on night flying. A few patrols were carried out, but no interceptions were achieved. Constant speed airscrews were fitted to the aircraft in place of the old variable pitch ones and the resulting increase in performance was very pleasing.

12 The first awards came to the Squadron in June, for the magnificent achievement during the first months of operations, one D.S.O., two D.F.C.'s and four D.F.M.'s.

13 At the end of July, the Squadron moved to Kirton in Lindsay for convoy and night patrols.
The Prime Minister and Chief of Air Staff. (C.A.S.) visited the Squadron.

14 August saw the first night interception, unfortunately no claim could be made. The target was a
He.111 which fired first then went into cloud.

15 On the 22nd August the Squadron moved to Hornchurch. The role of the Squadron was still unsettled. 12 Group seemed loathe to withdraw a possibly useful Squadron from day operations to make it night only. Radar control was virtually nil, and as the Defiants had no A.I., success at night was improbable. Day operations therefore continued and on the 23rd of August the Squadron had its first brush with He.113's and one Defiant was damaged.

16 On the 24th August the Squadron moved to Manston to take part in the big show. The first scramble came at 0700hrs, and before the Squadron could form up, the airfield was attacked by Ju.88's and Me.109's. A series of individual combats took place. The C.O. Squadron Leader Hunter was last seen chasing a Ju.88 at full bore towards France. The score for the morning was 3 Ju.88's destroyed and one damaged, one He.113 destroyed for the loss of 3 of our aircraft. Squadron Leader G D Garvin assumed command.

17 The Squadron was very heavily engaged in day defence for the rest of the month, and the total tally for August was 18 enemy aircraft destroyed and 3 damaged, for the loss of 16 of our aircraft. It was now obvious, if it had not been before, that the Defiant could not operate
effectively as a day fighter and on the 1st September, the Squadron moved back to Kirton in
Lindsay with a detachment at Northolt for the night defence of London.

18 Night patrols occurred on most nights during September, but although a number of enemy aircraft were seen in searchlight beam, evasive action took them out of the light before the fighters could get within range.

19 On the 15th September the enemy first used R/T jamming, and this, combined with ineffective ground radar made things very difficult for the fighters.

20 Due to various difficulties at Northolt, the detachment moved to Luton to continue its task, while another detachment was sent to Ringway to assist in night defence of Liverpool and Manchester. Night patrols continued throughout September and October without success until
the 16th October. On this night Pilot Officer Desmond Hughes obtained the first confirmed
night kill, one He.111

Boulton_Paul_Defiant.jpg

an artistic drawing of one of the operations of the squadron in that period

defiantaces2.jpg

artbox:

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Last edited:
I have edited # 1 to place the kit as it comes.but let's go to the mess I've put the photos of the cockpit and painted

05.JPG

06.JPG

04.JPG

07.JPG

thanks vic

Well, these days I've been doing little, I'm preparing everything to move to a house much bigger, finally I'll have my own workshop, but even so I've been doing things,
the plane, although the mold is new has to be carried out works of positioning of the plastic correctly the unions are something very improvable the truth but the detail and the quality of the plastic is quite good.

As you will see in what I will show you problems with the connections that solvent, first reducing the step distributing it between the top and bottom of the fuselage, then sand and to rectify with putty liquid of gunze and sandpaper of 2000 to the water to polish, although this phase of photograph the finish I have not yet since I hope to give if I can today the white primer 1000 of gunze, the owner of the store where I buy in Bulgaria the gift for me to try.

08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG
11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

15.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back