**** DONE: GB-38 1:48 MiG-3 (early) - Axis A/C

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tail feathers attached and resting for the night. Before I get started priming does anyone have any thoughts on under carriage/wheel wells/wheels. For wheel wells/under carriage I've seen bottom camo for all, aluminum for all and both mixed. For the wheel hubs I've seen aluminum colour, dark metal colour, that curious Russian wheel hub green and that curious Russian wheel hub green with aluminum center.
Massimo Tessitori's site seems to be just as confused. Having said all that, would the Germans just paint everything yellow?

Last edited:
Dunno if these will be of help, but this is what I found via a quick search on the web.
141ebc883208ceb60deff7d29b3b19b2--back-to-homes.jpg

8481634694_d097f105f2_b.jpg
s-l1000.jpg

I have no idea if these are originally black and white photos retouched with color, but that being said, it seems to me that wheels on these aircraft seem to be in their original finish. I know these are not Soviet aircraft (not sure what the bomber is at all) but I would think that it could be insightful nonetheless.

Also, maybe not a quick fix unless you have this book already, and knowing nothing of the contents, maybe there would be mention of repainting practices within?
001590c1.jpeg

Hopefully this can be of some use, as I admit to having very little knowledge in this area.

Chad

Wow!! Those are nice! Maybe post the link elsewhere for others to find and enjoy?

Geo, the silver colour for wheel wells/under carriage is more likely for MiG-1s than for both the early and late MiG-3s.

IMHO the colour of the wheel hubs depended on how much of time Germans had. I mean if they were in a hurry or not. The most likely colour for these hubs seems to be the black because it was the paint that Germans used usually for the parts. However they might have left the soviet coat and just cleaned of the dirt. In the case each colour could be. Russians used the Ae-9 Light Grey colour there. But there are pics that suggest more darker colour for the hubs. It is almost sure it wasn't the AE-9 or the light blue one used for undersides. As far as the wheel bays are concerned..The soviets used for them either the same Ae-9 paint like for the hubs or it was of the same colour the undersides were. If the wheel wells were of the Ae-9 , Germans could use the RLM 40 paint that is quite close to the russian one. However, IMHO the RLM 02 is more possible. But if the wheel bays were of the light blue colour for undersides they could overpaint them with the yellow. Regarding the under carriage.. I would say these parts could retain the soviet coats. So..the oleos could be either of the matt aluminium colour or of the light blue. The wheel bay doors could retain the grey or light blue paint at the inner surfaces while the outer ones were of the yellow. But judging by the pic of the kite you are going to replicate German's painting was well done. It might have resulted in the RLM 02 on the under carriage, especially if the wheel bays were repainted with the RLM 02.

Here are two shots that show the MiG-3 under carriage. I hope these can come in handy.

Mig-3 undercarriage_1.jpg

Mig-3 undercarriage_2.jpg

Great stuff Wojtek. A wide variety of options. Here is a photo (the caption says colour not colourized) of another captured -3 or maybe the same aircraft I'm doing but in original paint; note the lack of antenna mast forward of the windscreen. The colour of the wheel hubs is similar to one of the options I mentioned above. If you look at the photo of my aircraft in the link in Post #1 you will notice the hub is dark but the strut is a lighter colour, aluminum? The left wheel hub, in daylight seems to be still a dark colour. The more variety the better in my books

fscolor.jpg

I know the pic Geo. These hubs look rusty or just dirty thoigh. Here is an enlarged part of a pic with another captured Mig-3. The wheel hub seems to be very dark while the other parts of under carriage lighter. Just thought .. although all pic captions shwing the MiG-3s tested by Germans said "captured" I would say it is not sure. It should be said that many parts could be obtained from the Romanian planes. Generally I'm still thinking that Germans didn't re-painted all plane details.

Mig3_captured1.jpg

BTW... not all Mig-3 had the antenna masts because not all of them had the radio sets. Especially those of the early ones.

Oh and the next shot of the landing gear - quite of nice quality pic I would say. If enlarged more the better view is.

Mig-3 under carriage.jpg

Mig-3 under carriage1.jpg

and here the enlarged shot of the oleos...

MiG-3 early_oleos.jpg

:thumbright: Looks like the main gear could be aluminum, wheel wells underside colour. I have since read that the hubs were silver before the war started and green during the war as per the photo in Post #107. Inside the gear doors shall be pre-captured colour, outside shall be RLM 04. I couldn't live with the ribs on the ailerons or rudder so I have started to remove the majority of them.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

Yes these detail are a little bit oversized by the Trumpeter. Your idea seems to be good but most of modellers filling the "depressions" with a liquid putty and then sanding it a liitle bit over

BTW the silver hubs could happen rather for the MiG-1s than for the MiG-3..

Wow, Trumpeter make a it appear the fabric was covering the inside of the ribs instead of the outside. I like ribs, but not like that, I prefer bbq :D

Yep, though it has nice detail, way over done. Painted the wheel wells and inner gear doors. The flaps need a bit of finessing to sit flush, a few minor seems to work on and then I can primer

upload_2018-6-10_14-19-13.png

Merci.....final bits are glued and shaking up the Vallejo primer. One thing I've read and followed religiously: when you're shaking up any Vallejo paint, especially the primer, as soon as you think you've shaken it enough....shake for 5-10 minutes more. I have had none of the issues others have reported....yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back