**** DONE: GB-38 1:48 MiG-3 (early) - Axis A/C

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was a little worried about sanding the primer after all the negative reviews I've read so I let the model sit from 10:30AM until 8:00PM. I sanded using 800 grit and had no problems. Ridge removed plus the surrounding area was polished a bit. I think maybe the others are in too much of a rush.

IMG_0005.JPG

Painted the landing gear and have started boring out the exhausts why why why.......

IMG_0006.JPG

Thanks Andy and Wojtek. I sprayed the rudder with the lightest grey I had which was Vallejo Model Color Sky Grey. This isn't meant for airbrushing but I thinned it 1:1 with distilled water and it sprayed perfectly. What was left over I lightly sprayed over the "metal" areas on the bottom just to add some contrast. That's what I like about the Aztek AB, turn the knob all the way to the right and you can hose down the model and then by turning it to the left you can vary the amount of paint that comes out, no need to change nozzles or air pressure. As you can see, I ran out of grey before I finished. The battery also died after I took one photo...

upload_2018-6-12_17-32-19.png

I want to get the nose sprayed before I head back to camp tomorrow night, the end of 21 days off

Last edited:
Okay...I was on my way to paint the nose section and I wanted to check the demarcation between the cowl and fuselage colors. I noticed on the photo and the profile that the bottom is darker, photo here...german MiG-3 CT+SV

upload_2018-6-12_18-15-8.png

Now...is the darkish colour the top-side green camo? If so, would the bottom be original blue or RLM yellow? Thoughts......................Also it looks like the propeller blade fronts could be aluminum, this was common early in the war

The darker colour on the bottom isn't the yellow colour or the green used for top-sides. That's the light trick that was used for the profile to make the colour shape looking more 3D. The close up look at the picture with the real plane didn't reaveal a such darker part of the cowling. I have checked on all of three colour shades of the B&W range and the negative too. A such checking usually reveals differences in colour tones. In the case the result is negative and almost there is no doubt that the cowling was overpainted with one colour.

germig2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back