**** DONE: GB-38 1:48 P-47D - Axis A/C

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
User Name; N4521U
First Name; Bill
Category; Intermediate
Scale; 1:48
Kit Mfr; Tamiya
Extras; Eduard PE, Aires resin cockpit, IF Models decals

I don't build many foreign or axis aircraft, as you can see. The Zero I just wanted a comparison of old and surrendered. I wanted to build a Jug and this seemed like a good time to jump in and get one done with a deadline. I've only gotten the Cockpit set but wanted to get started. Perhaps some more in the post today. Cheers.
foreign.JPG

Nice subject! The Tamiya P-47 is a great kit. Interested to see this one with an upgraded cockpit. Aires gets a bad rap on fit but I've found that with careful inspection and dry-fitting, you'll end up discovering some undocumented keys that lead to good fit.

Here you go Bill, from the book On special missions The Luftwaffe Research and experimental squadron 1923-1945. Sorry page a little big so you can get the resolution size and detail :)

img101.jpg

The profile is a little bit misleading IMHO. The enlarged pics posted in the #8 clearly show the yellow wing tips at the undersides, up to the leading edge of tthe aileron.

p47capt1.jpg

p47capt1a.jpg

p47capt1b.jpg

Also the stencil at the bottom cooling tab. Either it was printed on the dark background or it was outlined with lighter colour over the OD paint. IMHO that's the Natural Grey one used for the undersides.

p47capt1c.jpg

The caption to the photo above the profile doesn't agree with the evidence - it states red for the prop boss and cowling panels, and white for the name 'Agnes', but these are clearly yellow.
The stencil panel on the cowl flap is probably yellow text on a black background.

So many owe so much to so few............ how can I thank you for all you give. Brilllllliant stuff.
This mornings bench work. Side panels of resin and etch. Strbrd side removed oxy hose, added my own plus a couple of oxy pipes and the regulator knob. Port side added some knobs and handles not included.
port pit.jpg
starbrd pit 1.jpg
starbrd pit 2.jpg

You must be pretty confident about fit to attach that fiddly PE stuff before you even cut the sidewalls from the casting blocks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back