**** DONE: GB-38 1/72 FW190 D-9 – Axis A/C

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Frustrating. The only solution is a new part or lots of sanding and polishing followed by a dip into Future.
I got about 80% removed but the canopy is getting pretty thin I am questioning another go worried about t breaking

If the canopy is getting thin then you've probably tackled the frosted area quite well. At this point, it's all about polishing the plastic which shouldn't really remove much more material. Go over the areas with successive passes of finer sand paper or Micromesh (I use Micromesh pads up to 12000 grit) and make the final pass with toothpaste or automotive polish ( Terry uses something available in the UK called T-Cut but I've found toothpaste works fine). Test the look by wetting the part with water and if it looks clear, dip it in Future and that should do it.

Andy went back and hit it again after a future was applied got that sot out but the craze of trying to glue the headrest remained even after a good hit with 240g"that's it".Life goes on ,I got gear and the brass barrels placed .020" O/S and I think .008/.010" I/S just need some paint wingtip lights done.The crate does not have alot more to do paint tailgear,dirty tires,antenna,weather tank and are those light underneath the fuse?right were the wing meets the fuse?
GB38 001.JPG
GB38 002.JPG
GB38 003.JPG
GB38 004.JPG
GB38 005.JPG

If you're talking about the elongated slot with 3 knobs within it, that's the external electrical connection panel. I normally paint this a steel colour. No lights on the underside.

Good stuff Kevin.
As Andy mentioned, I use 'T-Cut' for polishing scratches, particularly canopies. This is a brand name for a 'cutting compound', in liquid form, similar to, but not the same as liquid metal polish, used for colour restoration on car body paint work - a similar 'polish' will be available in the USA.
Although toothpaste works very well, the 'T-Cut' is better, and can 'restore' even the deepest, worst scratches and 'frosting'.
One thing to note though - apply it and polish off as soon as possible, as if it's left on the clear plastic surface too long, it might make the plastic brittle.

The pics below show a 1/32nd scale Beaufighter canopy, after removing heavy frames, applying the 'T-Cut', and after polishing.

MTO Build 002.jpg
MTO Build 004.jpg
MTO Build 352.jpg
MTO Build 355.jpg

That's pretty impressive Terry ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back