**** DONE: GB-40 1/72 B-17G “Carolina Moon” - Heavy Hitters III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

After a couple of hours of cutting and shaping I managed to get a decent fit on the vac canopy and here's the test fit I also glued up the wings and horizontal stabilizers. I'm not crazy about installing the main gear legs at this point but the way it was designed there was no choice.

P1012691.JPG
P1012687.JPG

Nicely done Glenn.
Seal the joints of the vac-form canopy with PVA (white glue), and it should blend-in seamlessly.

Thanks guys. Some more work done yesterday.

I glued on the canopy and built up the fairing with thick CA and filed it to shape than sanded through 1000 grit. The fit wasn't close enough to do it with white glue.
P1012692.JPG

The tail gunners position was glued on and a lot of major filing done to blend it into the rest of the fuselage.
P1012693.JPG

Lastly the radio operators and waist gunners windows were installed. No problem with the radio operators but the waist were a pain that was all my fault. The plans showed them being installed from the inside before the fuselage halves were joined but I decided to do it after - without test fitting - Big mistake, they could not be installed from the outside. I managed to get them on my sticking them on a curved piece of wire with some blue tak and going in through the opening for the radio operators window opening. Kind of reminded me of the old days when you'd lock your keys in the car and grab the lock button with a coat hanger. Took quite a while but it worked out in the end.
P1012694.JPG

Bien hecho :thumbright:
Interesting maneuver Glenn, and as you well say, very much like that recurrent technique to get the car keys!
With so much practice, I could have changed profession ... Hahaha :evil4:

:thumbup:

I've spent the last few days working on the wing joints and sanding them through 1000 grit, then decided to go over the entire surface with 1000 grit then buffed everything with a soft cloth to get a nice smooth surface for the NMF. Next will be gluing on the wings and tail and dealing with those joints.

P1012696.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back