**** DONE: GB-41 1/48 Brewster F2A2 Buffalo - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys
Had some more decal problems. The Tamiya kit decals compleatly desinagrated when I put them in water. I managed to save the Felix the cat decals with Micro liquid mask but stole the numbers from one of my AM F3F kits and the stars from a 1/32 decal set for an F4F. I have all the stars on and some of the numbers and all is well so far. I'll try to get some pictures posted tonight.

The white circles in the first pic were suppose to go under the stars but totally denigrated in the water. The Felix the Cat in the second picture began to come apart but I pulled it out quick, pieced it back together on the backing paper, let it dry and coated it with liquid decal solution and it worked out pretty good. The second Felix in the 3rd pic was coated before hand. I found the new stars in a Super Scale decal set for 1/32 P-12s not F4Fs as I stated earlier. They are a touch larger than the kits stars but their size almost perfectly matches the reference photo of the nosed over aircraft. I've had these decals for at least 20 years and they still worked fine. The 3-F-13 on the fuselage I stole from an Accurate Miniatures F3F-1 I have in the stash that has a plethora of numbers on the decal sheet. Most of the remaining decals will come from this sheet.

P1012805.JPG
P1012807.JPG
P1012806.JPG

Last edited:
Glad you were able to save the situation. You may have been able to use the rest of the decals if you coated them like the cat. The white circles could have been painted.

Glad you were able to save the situation. You may have been able to use the rest of the decals if you coated them like the cat. The white circles could have been painted.
I did coat some of the smaller decals and will use them. I've had the Micro decal solution for some time but this was the first time I've used it and was surprised at how well it worked.
I hope to finish off the decaling tonight so I can get started on the panel lines and weathering this week.
Starting to feel the end of build pressure.

I finished up all the decals than gloss coated the whole thing with Future. I tried a new method (for me anyway) to do the panel lines using oil paint thinned way down with turpentine applying it to the panel lines then wiping it off with dry paper towel and Q-tips after a half hour or so. I think I like the finished product better than the tempera paint I have been using for the last few years and cleaning it off is sure simpler and faster than the tempera, but the smell of the oil paint and turpentine is going to take some getting use to.

P1012808.JPG
P1012809.JPG
P1012811.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back