**** DONE: GB-41 1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk XII - PTO from 1937 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Hugh and Wayne.

Jumping ahead a few steps, the home made stencils were applied, some paint was chipped, mast and landing gear added, and a coat of Tamiya Flat Clear was shot on. The following shots were taken with the wheels freshly glued in place with the flat spots rotated to the correct position so I didn't want to move the model a lot.

19051201.jpg

The masks removed from the wing lights reveal a nice, clean transition with the the camouflaged surfaces. Happy with that. Note that at some point along the way, I lost one of my brass gun barrels. Not happy with that.

19051202.jpg

Port side showing the s/n and "Lift Here" stencil. The decals are passable, though there is some silvering that I will need to address. Close-ups later when the wheels are dry and I can move the model.

19051203.jpg

The resin exhausts are beautifully done, with delicately moulded complex openings. Not seen very well are the 3 different shades of brownish steel paint that I applied before gluing these in.

19051204.jpg
19051205.jpg

A general shot of the starboard side.

19051206.jpg

On finals now with just the tail wheel to paint, add tape for the gun barrels, replace the broken aerial post on the rudder and string the antenna. More soon I hope.

Lookin really good Andy, just caught up and going back a bit, as a suggestion, what I do to prevent any potential bleed through is to mist on a clear coat to seal the edge of the mask, I do this with canopies although in that case I like to use a matt coat .

Thanks everyone.

Lookin really good Andy, just caught up and going back a bit, as a suggestion, what I do to prevent any potential bleed through is to mist on a clear coat to seal the edge of the mask, I do this with canopies although in that case I like to use a matt coat .

Normally, yes but the issue I had was that the stiff vinyl masks would not settle into the rib contours on the fuselage so a precoat of clear would not have helped in this case.

Thanks everyone.

Normally, yes but the issue I had was that the stiff vinyl masks would not settle into the rib contours on the fuselage so a precoat of clear would not have helped in this case.

Ah ok, I'd seen it suggested to use a hair dryer on vinyl masks, I've only used those once so far and using the hairdryer on the canopy and wheel masks worked very well, haven't tried it on the markings yet as I haven't got that far., but I can't see those presenting any sort of problem.

Over the last couple of days, I tackled the silvering under my home-made decals. The before:

19051601.jpg

And the after. This was a real b!tch to fix as there were a couple of very stubborn areas that would not react to multiple rounds of Solvaset and pin pricks so I had to carefully touch them up with paint and one of those mascara brushes. It was getting to the point where I was making things worse so I stopped and the brutal close-up reveals many imperfections. However, viewed from a distance the decals look acceptable.

19051605.jpg

Several of my reference pics of Canadian Hurricanes show the use of some rather unique circular tape patches over the gun openings. Though the one pic of 5389 is taken from the wrong angle to confirm this, I decided to do it anyway. I used an old Tamiya RV band decal and a 9/64" punch to make these circular patches. The first two I made disintegrated so I sprayed a clear coat and tried again. In the end, it took 21 punched circles to complete the 12 patches. I decided to break them open so that all the work I did to reveal the outer gun barrels wasn't wasted.

19051602.jpg
19051603.jpg
19051604.jpg

I think I said somewhere that I was going to keep the weathering restrained. And you believed me!? Here's where I ended up on the port side of the the cockpit where the area would have seen plenty of traffic. Paint was chipped to the aluminum undercoat, Tamiya panel wash was carefully applied, pastel powders dabbed on, and various minor scratches in the paint were simulated using a green and brown Prismacolor pencils that are of a lighter shade than the underlying paint.

19051606.jpg

Yet to go on is some exhaust staining and that will round out the weathering on top. Thanks for looking.

Finishing touches done tonight.

Exhaust stains were sprayed on. First, a thin mist of dark brown is applied and next a thin mist of rubber black is sprayed in the center of the brown. It's important to fade the stains as they move toward the back. To do this, I rotate the airbrush whilst staying near the front of the stain and then move away from the surface as I move back. The Hurricane had a distinctive arch shape to its exhaust stain which I tried to replicate here,

19051801.jpg

The prop was finished with small yellow patches and some simulated writing on them. I was winging it here a bit based on pics and assume that they are some sort of maintenance record. There are no Hamilton Standard logos on the prop blades in any of the pics that I saw.

19051802.jpg

The antenna wire was attached last and for this I used invisible mending thread. The small clear nav light in front of the mast was inserted just before this.

19051803.jpg

The tail light was a blob of grey styrene so I cut this off and added a small bulb made of white painted stretched sprue and then dipped multiple blobs of Testors Clear Parts Cement while suspending the model vertically. Not the best outcome but I've touched it up a bit since this pic was taken.

19051804.jpg

Here's the underside dirtied up with streaks and earth stains.

19051805.jpg

At this point the model is pretty much finished. I'll give it a once over tomorrow and hopefully get some final shots posted shortly. Thanks again for your interest.

Thanks Terry.

Here are a series of shots of the completed model. Finished post will be put up right after this one.

19051907.jpg
19051908.jpg
19051909.jpg
19051910.jpg
19051911.jpg
19051912.jpg
19051913.jpg
19051914.jpg
19051915.jpg
19051916.jpg

I'd like to thank all of those who followed the build and offered support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back