**** DONE: GB-41 1:48 KAWANISHI N1K2-J "EARLY" - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sorry I'm so late looking in, but, we stock Jarrto at. Walmart and as always beautiful work. I do tend to use testor airbrush thinner for their lighter enamel colors.

Thanks guys. Flat coated the aircraft. This is the first time I have sprayed Tamiya Flat Clear and two things stood out for me. A few probably remember in my other threads that I said that the flat seemed to be more gloss when I brush painted it. With the airbrush it seems more flat. I also like how the Tamiya Panel Wash turned out...

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

The second thing, and this is a real poser; after I had finished airbrushing I looked at the tip of the AB and there was about a 3" string of drool hanging off it. There was no spitting at anytime during the session. I used a 50/50 of Flat and Tamiya Thinner and sprayed at about 15-18psi. Very odd....never seen this before. Do the Tamiya Clears have to be treated differently? Anyhoo.....I'll let this set and then do a bit more weathering on the fuselage band, cowling and ID bands on the wings.

It looks really good Geo. You've left the nose section and undercart off the thing as well as the canopy, which is how I am going to approach painting my A6M. Your rear sill colour is also of interst to me. I wasn't sure how to paint mine. Yours is clear, without being too "in your face'. A nice effect.

Looks great Geo. There are two kinds of Tamiya Thinner and I've used both. One is a Lacquer Thinner and has a yellow cap and the other is "normal" thinner and has a white cap. It seems, based on experience, that both can be used for the paints but the yellow cap MUST be used for the grey primer, which is lacquer-based. I'm not sure if the flat clears are compatible with both thinners so maybe you got a reaction. I never got the snot shooting the clear and am not sure what happened there.

Thanks Andy. This is the stuff I'm using...

1555081991847.png

....really odd. Maybe I never flushed all the lacquer thinner out from the last time I cleaned the AB. Weathered the fuselage band and cowling before I glued it on.

IMG_0001.JPG

Several of the breaky-offy parts are slightly bent: antenna, pitot tube, landing gear accoutrements, etc. These have been placed under heavy objects and I'll see how they faired when I get back from PG

Thanks Andy and Wojtek. On finals now, landing gear is attached and clear parts paints; a few touch ups needed...

1555295558151.png

I've been fiddling around with the Uschi van Rosten rigging thread, mostly trying to find the end. This stuff is veeeeeeeeeeeeeery stretchy. It should be al together tomorrow

Very nice George.

I've given up spraying Future. I get much better results brushing it on with a fan shaped brush. I think I'll give that Tamiya panel line wash a try. I saw a build video where a guy used it and have been thing about it and now you've convinced me.

Thanks Glenn and Wojtek. Why oh why would Hasegawa do this this? I've never seen this in a kit before.

IMG_0002.JPG

Figuring, perhaps, there would be some kind of interference with the prop, I attempted to hold the two halves together and test fit everything. After a few minutes of "attempting" to hold the two halves together I said screw it and tacked them together. Everything promptly fell into place

IMG_0004.JPG

Try as I might, I can see no reason for Hasegawa doing this. I'll let the glue set, clean the unnecessary seam, paint and then put everything together

IMHO the reason for the way the Hasegawa did that spinner is the four-blade prop. However the joke is possible too. Why a modeller should have an easy life? :lol:

:hello2: I bought these barrels at the the same time I bought one of three "Georges" only because they were on sale dirt cheap. Its a good thing I did...

IMG_0002.JPG

Installed that "I have no idea what its for" upper fuselage window. Did it slot right in? Of course not....too long. I removed some of the plastic from the front and then smash fit it into the fuselage, removing a bit of paint. I may just hit it with a silver pencil to look like chipping rather than risk getting paint on the clear area.

IMG_0005.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back