**** DONE: GB-41 1:48 Nakajima Ki-44-II Ko - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Was waiting for canopy masks to show up, they did today and painting has been completed.

IMG_0002.JPG

I know these were probably easy to mask by hand but I'm spoiled now

Thanks all. Main decals are on but not without a fight. I used my N1K2 decals for the wings as can be notice in the photo in Post #1, these are fairly large. GB-41 1:48 Nakajima Ki-44-II Ko - PTO from 1937 The first two under the wings went down OK but the left wing decal stuck fast and took about 10 minutes of soaking just to get it to move. I used Mr. Mark setting solution for all three. I changed over to Microscale setting solution on the right upper wing decal and it slid around like it was in ice. Tenting has occurred at the bottom of the upper wing decals(expected) so I'm poking and re-wetting. I'll need to touch up with paint, XF-7 Red looks very close.

1557523385045.png

The only reason I noticed it was my decision to paint the bands and not use the decals. I thought it odd that the Japanese would have added more paint to the ailerons and it was when I checked the photo that I noticed the large Hinomaru. The kit decals are roughly the size of the fuselage decals. Touch-ups to the wing decals are complete, decals are washed and a gloss coat added to seal the decals. Weathering will commence later today

Though they weren't used on many WW2 aircraft, I wish more kit makers would take this approach to telescopic gun sights instead of using grey sprue. Paint everything but the ends and you are left with clear lenses.

1557589769370.png

It would have been nice to have the sprue attachment point on the other side but nothing that can't be dealt with

Thanks guys. Getting close to finals. Put her on her legs, did some touch-ups to the gear doors and painted those red rectangles around the gun barrel openings. I'll start the panel wash shortly using the Tamiya product; this time Gray.

1557623215689.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back