**** DONE: GB-42 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vb - MTO II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

According to another site (Britmodeller?) Edgar Brooks had a hand with Airfix but only with the museum version. The fuel cover supposedly fits much better on that version

Looks like a nice kit, much better than their original, early 1980's offering, despite that fiddly part.
No doubt, with a bit (OK, maybe a lot) of fettling, you'll get it sorted. Seems the early windscreen part fits better OOB, and the later version will probably behave if you give it a good talking to !

Great choice and great start Geo.
One of Beurling's mount (BR301) was an option for me also with Tamiya kit and a Vc wings resin set that I don't remember the manufacturer; Maybe Bringuier Aviation Products, but it's neither MDC nor Airwaves, the wings are in only one piece (upper and under wings) :rolleyes:
I think to keep this "surgery" for another project (Ray Hesselyn Spit Vc) and I'm waiting for the Vs from Eduard probably late this year or early 2020... ;)

Thanks guys. I should have posted this with the above shots. Here's a side view.

1558592727642.png

Not really sure what I'm going to do about it yet. If I try to sand along line "A" to bring the front down it will probably affect the fit at "B". If I fill forward from "C", I'll lose that lovely rivet. If I sand back from "D" I'll lose some detail on the front; fuel cap and whatever the circular panels on either side of it

1558622528182.png

Geo could you take a couple of close up shots showing the edges of the D but taken from the bottom? I mean when inverted. Also the tops of the edges of the fusealge at the A line.

Time to start. The seat is a three piece affair and a pain in the keester to put together. I'll let it set and then clean it up

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

Geo ,
here is a diagram what I would do if I would have to fit the part. Instaed of removing of the plastic from the D part only I would sand down both the D part and the fusealge edges there. Just a half of the amount of the plastic to remove for each part. In the way the front area of the D should sit down deeper. However you may need to scrape off the rear edges of the D or the cockpit door ( especially at the bottom area) to keep the vertical panel line between the D and the door there. The front vertical edge of the D may need some of putty at the bottom and getting thinner thickenss toward the top. IMHO by the slightly sanding ( scrapping off) of the edges you will get the proper fit without any trouble.

1558592727642a.jpg

1558592727642b.jpg

Thanks for the pics Wojtek and thank you Andy. I think I'll chalk this up to very acceptable good luck. Usually when I sand/file a long straight edge it gets rounded. One issue down, possibly three to go. Several builders had issues with the IP fitting under the the fuel tank cover and wing root/upper fuselage fit. All complained about the landing gear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back