**** DONE: GB-42 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vb - MTO II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

According to another site (Britmodeller?) Edgar Brooks had a hand with Airfix but only with the museum version. The fuel cover supposedly fits much better on that version

Looks like a nice kit, much better than their original, early 1980's offering, despite that fiddly part.
No doubt, with a bit (OK, maybe a lot) of fettling, you'll get it sorted. Seems the early windscreen part fits better OOB, and the later version will probably behave if you give it a good talking to !

Great choice and great start Geo.
One of Beurling's mount (BR301) was an option for me also with Tamiya kit and a Vc wings resin set that I don't remember the manufacturer; Maybe Bringuier Aviation Products, but it's neither MDC nor Airwaves, the wings are in only one piece (upper and under wings)
I think to keep this "surgery" for another project (Ray Hesselyn Spit Vc) and I'm waiting for the Vs from Eduard probably late this year or early 2020...

Not really sure what I'm going to do about it yet. If I try to sand along line "A" to bring the front down it will probably affect the fit at "B". If I fill forward from "C", I'll lose that lovely rivet. If I sand back from "D" I'll lose some detail on the front; fuel cap and whatever the circular panels on either side of it

Geo could you take a couple of close up shots showing the edges of the D but taken from the bottom? I mean when inverted. Also the tops of the edges of the fusealge at the A line.

Geo ,
here is a diagram what I would do if I would have to fit the part. Instaed of removing of the plastic from the D part only I would sand down both the D part and the fusealge edges there. Just a half of the amount of the plastic to remove for each part. In the way the front area of the D should sit down deeper. However you may need to scrape off the rear edges of the D or the cockpit door ( especially at the bottom area) to keep the vertical panel line between the D and the door there. The front vertical edge of the D may need some of putty at the bottom and getting thinner thickenss toward the top. IMHO by the slightly sanding ( scrapping off) of the edges you will get the proper fit without any trouble.

Thanks for the pics Wojtek and thank you Andy. I think I'll chalk this up to very acceptable good luck. Usually when I sand/file a long straight edge it gets rounded. One issue down, possibly three to go. Several builders had issues with the IP fitting under the the fuel tank cover and wing root/upper fuselage fit. All complained about the landing gear

Users who are viewing this thread