**** DONE: GB-43 1/72 Spitfire Mk.IA - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have started painting the camo on my little Spit. In looking over the Xtradecal sheet, I noticed that every Mk1 on the sheet is marked on both sides of the plane, squadron code - aircraft id, except FY-N from Squadron 611 Did they get it wrong or was the variation allowed?
xtradecal2.JPG

What is the time limit to finish each group build?

Last edited by a moderator:
Code orientation is correct.
Although "officially" the Squadron code, in this instance 'FY' was supposed to be forward of the roundel on both sides, interpretation "in the filed" very often lead to the codes being "right reading", that is 'FY' before the roundel as viewed, resulting in 'FY' aft of the roundel on the starboard side.
This became more common and, eventually, became the standard presentation.

I am finished with most of the painting and decals. I hope to finish this before the deadline. The Xtradecal are great to work with, so thin and opaque, and they lay down in all the tiny engraved lines with a little Microsol. I'm also using the kit decals for all the tiny stencils, you can read most of it and it's only millimeters in size. The only thing I didn't like was the
layout. The squadron codes should have been positioned together to make it easier to cut out. It would also be nice to position the others so any option would be closer to an edge and together. I'm not going to be building any other BoB spits so I'm going to offer this to anyone in the US who would like it.

To Airframes; I love how markings evolve over time and how tradition can arise from confused interpretation by someone out in the field. I can see how having the codes in the same order on both sides would be better when reading it at a glance to call a warning.
decal.jpg
spit2.jpg

I should be good. Right now, I have all the basic paint and decal done. Wednesday, I'll spray clear semi gloss, and do some detail and shading. Let it dry, have a turkey dinner that can't be beat and put landing gear, and delicate bits on Friday. Thanks to all for the encouragement, and info. It's been at least 15-20 years since I last finished a model, but I was able to get all my gear out and get set back up. I don't have a jet for the next build, and I want to build something from the stash. I'll post something if it turns out ok.

Here is as finished as I will be for December 1. I had a marvelous time and appreciate all the help. I confess to an oops and 2 errors. The oops was my fingerprint that features in the last picture. The first error was I carefully painted the under side Sky Type S instead of Sky Grey. Next I had trouble keeping the landing legs straight on the gear doors and they ended up too close to the folding point and won't fit into the pegs. I have ordered another kit so I will be able to finish this. I left the radio mast off till the very end because I remember how quickly I would break it off when working on something else. There is no detail or weathering other than some black in the ammo casing ports.
Fin1.jpg
fin2.jpg
fin3.jpg
fin4.jpg
fin5.jpg
fin6.jpg
fin7.jpg
fin8.jpg
fin9.jpg
fin10.jpg

Good effort, and "Sky Type S" is the correct colour for the underside.
"Sky Grey" was never a colour used on RAF, British - made aircraft, although US equivalent colours, on US aircraft for the RN. FAA, used this American colour, which was nowhere near "Sky", and never on a Spitfire.
I'm guessing Tamiya chose the "nearest" colour from their range in the painting instructions - after 50 years, they still haven't sorted British colour shade paints !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back