**** DONE: GB-44 1/72 Saab Draken - Military A/C of post-war time

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bustedwing

Tech Sergeant
Dec 6, 2005
North Delta BC
Username: Bustedwing
First name: Graham
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Airfix ( subject to change) Amended to Hasegawa.
Scale 1:72
Model: Saab Draken 35-F
Add ons, Airies cockpit resin set. Maestro PE cockpit and exterior set.

This is out of my comfort zone but here goes. I grew up watching CF-101s 104s, F-4 Phantoms and the Vulcan at the Abbotsford Airshow. That was the extent of my knowledge of military jets. One day my Dad sends this guy who worked for him to pick me up at school, His name was Nils, he showed up in the most butt ugly car I had ever seen. He explains to me that it's a Saab and how Saab also makes the best fighter jets and how he used to fly a Draken in the Swedish Airforce. I'm thinking the guy is just trying to impress me by blowing warm air up my exhaust pipe but low and behold there is such a plane. When I first saw it I thought it was the coolest looking thing ever and it's always stuck with me even though I'm not really keen on building jets. I picked up this meager Airfix kit for $13.00 and some one has started on it. A few pieces glued on it and a scratch built seat otherwise un touched and complete. I am hoping to locate either a Hasegawa or Revell kit instead hence the ( subject to change). So if I can post this subject to change I'll leave it as is or should I just delete it and make another if I find the better kit ?

Well I managed to obtain a Hasegawa kit and I went a bit over board and ordered some aftermarket goodies for it as well, so nix the Airfix kit. I'll build it but most likely end up using it as a paint pig. The Hasegawa kit is miles beyond the Airfix kit .

draken (2)r.jpg

draken (8)r.jpg

draken (9)r.jpg

Last edited:
Well here we go, Airfix vrs. Hasegawa. The Hasegawa kit has nice surface detail and better pretty much everything ! Of course the first pic of the Airfix kit HAS to load up sideways and for the life of me I can't figure out why. If anyone knows how to flip it, please do it or let me know how !

1573961323410.png

draken (11)r.jpg

Last edited:
Are you using a phone for pics?

Don't own one, well I do but it's a dumb phone bolted to the wall in the kitchen. I used a Canon digital camera. I didn't take the picture side ways either. It happens to me once in a while when I try and post pictures. Post 5 pictures and one posts sideways ?? I usually just delete that photo.

Hmmmm, odd. Do you save the pics to a separate folder before editing them?

I have a folder named " models" inside are sub folders for whatever kit I'm working on. I save them there. I use MS Paint to resize the ones I upload here. They always appear right side up on my computer . It's only when I upload them that they flip over ?. Not often but it 's the only time it happens. A couple of times I've just said screw it, took a new picture, given it a new name and then it works ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Double hmmmm. Last shot. If its an older camera and you have the setting set to "Landscape", occasionally the camera won't read it correctly and the photo will show up sideways. I read in one article last night that MS Paint doesn't recognize this so you won't see the sideways photo. Try using these photo editors, both free and easy to use
Download IrfanView
https://www.getpaint.net/download.html

Camera is about 4 years old. How do either of these programs compare to GIMP ?? I use GIMP though I find MS paint is fast easy and stupid proof which works great for me !

Super easy compared to Gimp. I only use Gimp when I make my own decals. Paint.net uses Raster graphics but is really easy and fast for editing photos. I use IrfanView to sort out which photos I want to keep. The biggest plus for me using this program is that you can scroll through all you photos, going back and forth deciding which to keep and which to chuck. I usually take 2-3 photos of the same subject so I'm sure I have a keeper. Using IrfanView I can go through 20 photos and keep 5 in less than a minutes. Then onto Paint.net to edit; just to resize and occasionally play with the brightness/contrast

Users who are viewing this thread

Back