**** DONE: GB-46 1/48 C-2A Greyhound - WW2 Eastern Front / Twin Engine A/C, Transports and Gliders

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good work Don, what about some polishing cloth or even toothpaste on some cloth or cotton bud, front to back motion over your sideways scratching pattern, lightly done a bit at a time to essentially blend it all....

Good work Don, what about some polishing cloth or even toothpaste on some cloth or cotton bud, front to back motion over your sideways scratching pattern, lightly done a bit at a time to essentially blend it all....
Yes I'm thinking along those lines. I've got the effect I want and don't want to screw it up now so I'll play with it a bit. I can always over paint and do it again, as Geo points out, "It's only plastic, It's only plastic"!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried them to varying degrees in results. The toothpaste and polish made it clean but really didn't help take the paint down. I soaked the qtip in window cleaner and the paste and then worked. It seemed to clean up areas bit up by the toothpick but not much more. I think some steel wool might work but I haven't any. In the end it came down to soaking the area to work in window cleaner and letting it set for a few seconds. after about 45 sec to a minute with a gente orbital working of the toothpick I would start to see results. Polished this up with toothpaste and I think I'm done here, I'll have to do the ramp and the crew entry steps. I think I'm pleased with the results.

That is looking VERY good, Don. Excellent work and I am very happy to see you trying new ideas. And, yeah, I am gonna try that kind of wear and tear oil my floors in the next kit I am considering.

And now for a weekend update!

I mixed a cockpit interior paint as the cockpit looks more like a business jet than a military transport. That being said I used Testors acrylic 'dark tan" and Vallejo Model Air "White" to come up with the color, I didn't keep track of the mixture sorry!

I then shot the cockpit interior and then masked the interior of the "canopy" and shot it and the seats while still on the tree.

I then needed to "yellow out the upper and lower panels in the cargo bay. I used Testors acrylic "Panzer Buff" for this. It's pretty thin and translucent so several small coats were needed for effect. the cargo side of the cockpit wall was also painted such.

I then went back to work in the front office. The interior window framing is black, at first I had thought it was grey and painted as such then had to go back and re paint in black and I then installer the upper console after painting it. I then finished the upper forward section in black.

I did some test fittings to see how it is all going and what can be seen!

I installed the cockpit seats and control yokes, pated the center control panel and painted and installed the IP.
started cutting seat belts from tape and added weight, OH I ORDERED THE METAL GEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I glued in the interior on the port side so I could add the weight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Progress report!

I got the pak seats installed, I has to soak them in brake fluid to get the brushed on paint off and then the testors 1110 blue to a 50-50 paint thinner then airbrush the blue. I then mixed a white/panzer buff and brush painted the seat structurs.

After installing the ten sets of seats, I procceded to put the fuselage halves together. This proved to be a bit of a challange as it was a very tight fit and the interior kept getting in the way. There was a gap on the bottom fuselage that by pressing in would close but I could not ally the kind of presser required for the time required to seal it. I ended up inseting a thin plastic rod in and working it with glue and pressure to fill and seal.

The upper aft took a bit of time but generally seated well and held. Forward there was a warp in the plastic on the right side bent down and did not want to play nice. The fight was difficult as the fuselage interior was pressing things out. A bit of a alingment was needed but I got it.

sanded down the rod and found the forward lower fuselage was offset from each side and tamiya white putty was needed to level this off. There were a few small diffits in the molding as well. I then sanded this all down and applyed Tamiya primer to help level all the heavy sanding.

The upper required a bit more work. most all in the forward section. Jut in front of the wing mount is where the plastic was warped/bent out and after trying several things I finnaly added a little backing soda and super glue, the forms up hard and fast. I then sanded it down and hit it with Tamiya Primer as well.

I applyed the same baking soda and sg to the upper and lower raydome as there was a gap in this as well.

It sounds like a lot of work but really wasn't all that bad. I am really enjoying this kit. I may have saved myself some of the aggravation by working down the interior more. I did file the floor and though my fit was good but when the glue hit the issue I had had in the dry fit came back. I was not addverse to doing what I had to do and it seems to be working.

Users who are viewing this thread